Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super, Bullets, Brass, Powder

downzero

I'm looking for some help. I'm loading .38 Super. Currently I'm using Zero JHP 125 gn bullets with VVN340 powder. A short e-mail back and forth from Jeff Maass later I'm going to try VVN350.

I wonder what conbinations you guys are using.

What powders, bullets etc. Any help is appreciated.

David

Assuming you're shooting Open, I really like the Hornady 121 HAP plus N350, 4756 or 7625. For me, the truncated-cone style JHP's are by far the most accurate. I personally prefer a bit more 'bounce' than the 'slap' I got with N105, but YMMV, so try 'em all as you get a chance.

124 grain Remington "Golden Sabre" JHP over 10.8 grains of AA #7 in a WW or Remington +P case ignited with a WW small rifle primer. OAL = 1.210"

I was using a no-name 124 gr FMJ from Midway before the Remington JHP's and it wanted 11.0 grains to get the same PF. OAL on the FMJ load was 1.255"

Good comp action with this much #7 in a Super. I get 1375 fps (170 PF).

I like AA #7 no matter what I have heard about it. In fact, I now firmly believe all the legends concerning #7 are baseless. I'm pretty lonesome out where I am coming from with this recipe, but I'm stickin' with it because I really like it.

Regards,

12.2 acc #7 with mg 115s. Very flat and accurate.

8.4 IMR 7625 with mg 115s. Very flat and accurate, feels a little softer than the #7 load.

Both loads are right at 170pf in a STI with 3 small hybrid ports and a 3 chamber comp.

I thought there was a survey of open gun reloading components from last years nationals. Certainly not "proof" of whats best, but it might tell you what others are most often using at the premier match. I thought Montana and Zero were the top 2 for bullets and folks use either 115 or 124 grn, not much heavier. V V was the powder of choice though I seem to recall Hodgdon, winchester and AA being on the list, as well as Vectan (hard to find these days). Nothing wrong with Starline Supercomp brass; some prefer .38 TJ and there are some who never seem to have a problem regular old w/ .38 super brass. I doubt you will find many people running small pistol primers. Personally, I use V V N105 under a Montana 115 RN and Starline 9 Supercomp, & Winchester small rifle primers. I do not run hybrid ports. SV w/ 5" schueman non AET & 4 port comp.

• 2 months later...

115gr Federal hollowbase JRN. 10gr SP2 powder. Rem +P nickel brass. WSR primer. One-shot case lube, just towel it off of loaded rounds. Clean your dies every once in a while & the One-shot won't get sticky.

If you load brass brass and nickel brass, try loading a mag with 4 of one, 4 of the other, 4 of the first one again... you'll see the difference.

Your gun will also cycle faster & more consistent if you run a silicone rag or Pledge furniture polish (on a rag) thru your mags after every cleaning. I like Pledge. B)

Remington Brass

Winchester SR Primers (although in a pinch, SP are fine)

VV N350

124 gr. Montana Gold, Complete Metal Jacket

After a ton of testing the Complete Metal Jacket yielded the most accuracy. 0.5" at 50 yards. Not too bad out of 5" barrel w/ 5 ports in it.

Rich