Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin stop racker

jailtrail

I personally wouldn't use them....you run the risk of moving the fpin stop and possibly screwin with the firing pin. For example, if you get it torqued/off center, it could rub on the firing pin and slow it down.....i.e., light primer strike.

You may never have a problem with it, but why add jam possibilities to the equation if you don't need to.

Darren

Does anyone make a firing pin stop with a slide racker on it for 1911's, I've been told someone makes them, but nobody seems to know who.

Thanks for you input, but I just want to know where to buy one..

jailtrail

Does anyone make a firing pin stop with a slide racker on it for 1911's, I've been told someone makes them, but nobody seems to know who.

Thanks for you input, but I just want to know where to buy one..

jailtrail

Perhaps you should go back and ask the person who told you someone made one because the reason for not having one is very valid.

That is a bad idea!! it is a problem for a gun waiting to happen.

forget that and mill off the racker on the slide just like the rest of

us that do not have any problems. RELIABILITY is what counts!

I remember seeing those a while back. Initially it looked like an inexpensive (i.e. no gunsmith modifications needed) way to add a slide racker.

In our arms race, many work diligently to improve the tools of our sport. The good ideas keep evolving into better ideas. The bad ideas quietly disappear into the back of the parts bin.

Guess which one this appears to be.

Bill

Maybe I should have add why I have a need for one, it's a Open pistol in 9mm Major, the slide has been milled off to reduce weight and the pistol is being used by a 13 year old junior shooter who doesn't have as large of hands as a adult, with the C-More in place it is hard for him to grasp the rear- end of the slide to clear the few jams he has, I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but I'm just trying to find one to help my Grandson shoot better. Help me on this, I have a ex wife if I just wanted to argue...

As someone else asked, don't you have room to mill a dovetail so you can use a traditional slide racker? I've also seen some rackers that just screw into a drilled/tapped hole in the slide. These would be better solutions that won't screw up the kid's match.

D

I don't think they are arguing just trying to help somebody from making a mistake.

Why not try skateboard grip tape on both sides of the slide? I have seen that work for people in your grandson's case.

+1 - I infinitely prefer a small square of grip tape on the back corners to any of the aftermarket slide rackers.

what arms race? the formula for open and limited guns has been set for over 10 years. anything else is just a variation on a theme.

Open, wide body, .355", pick your cartridge, comp, dot sight.

Ltd. wide body and 40S&W.

back in the 80s and early 90s the state of the art open pistol was in great flux but no more. Enough with "arms race" comments when it has been over for a long time.

Okay, back to topic .........

Jailtrail, if you can't find a FPS slide racker is drilling and tapping an option ??

I've seen some really lightened slides in the back area and some have taken the

Briley slide racker, milled off the dovetail and screwed it to the top of the slide.

Down side with this version is you'd have to take it off to get the slide off.

The dove tail bars are pretty neat, but if the materials gone and you can't find the

FPS type not sure what you can do.

Any chance of posting a pic of what you have ??

Good luck.

Okay, back to topic .........

Jailtrail, if you can't find a FPS slide racker is drilling and tapping an option ??

I've seen some really lightened slides in the back area and some have taken the

Briley slide racker, milled off the dovetail and screwed it to the top of the slide.

Down side with this version is you'd have to take it off to get the slide off.

The dove tail bars are pretty neat, but if the materials gone and you can't find the

FPS type not sure what you can do.

Any chance of posting a pic of what you have ??

Good luck.

I can't recall who made it, but I've seen one that was essentially a round peg sticking out the side of the slide behind the cocking serrations. It might not be so great for someone with long thumbs, but should work for a junior. I don't know if it was a threaded peg and they drilled and taped the slide so it screwed in, or if they had a screw on the inside to secure it, but I'd imagine there's enough meat in that part of the slide to do either.