Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd USPSA match with a revolver...

needknees

What a weekend! What a match! What a range!

If you can't tell I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Milan. It was my first big match of any kind and second uspsa match with the revolver. And I had a blast! I've got video from a few stages. Please take a look and analyze what I need to work on other than shooting faster... you've got to make hits but I'm struggling to find the balance between speed and accuracy. There were a few stages with both revo and prod that I shot where I had most or all of the points available but was a bit slower, and my placing struggled because of that. And... I need to train my finger to move quicker on the revolver :P. The reloads were getting significantly more consistent towards the end of the day (note: the video is in stage order, not the order we shot). That's a huge time saver when you hit them reasonably well.

Here's the video:

I ended up placing thrid (out of four...), but had 87.70% of first's score. I was pretty pleased with my performance, as well as my decision to shoot revolver for next year. I had a lot more fun shooting the wheel than I did the Glock in production. And I even won one stage!

And this is what happens when you don't realize your buddy has a camera when you're running through the stage before you shoot:

10_05_2008_017.sized.jpg

:roflol:

Hey six gun sam I was on your squad with you, you just need to shoot close targets faster. you are shooting major and hitting all A's so since you have the accuracy, just speed up in practice until you start missing. Then quit missing....Easy huh! Your rhythm is good for longer shots but you need to practice close shots where you just stroke the trigger as fast as you can regardless of hits and see where you are. Try some close bill drills just to see how fast you can shoot. You hit more a's than anyone on our squad except maybe Thomas, he was shooting just like you with a auto loader.

I was like you years ago before I quit shooting for 15 years. its easier for me to hit a's and work on speeding up than to be fast and sloppy and work on stopping misses.

Set up three targets 7 ft 14 ft 21 ft and draw and double tap close to far and far to close. Your farther shots are good and timed right. Your close shots are a little slow. Your accuracy is excellent.

It was fun shooting with you.

Scott

Edited by rupie

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone :).

Those of you who either shot the match or saw most of the stages from the vid, how would you break those down for a revolver? I'm still having a tough time thinking in sixes. Looking back on it there are a couple things I would do differently, but stages like the 4 arrays to hell (third in the vid) seemed to have a ton of standing reloads. That was the best way I could come up with for that stage. The Belly Flopper stage I tried to be sneaky to save a reload but it ended up being much slower that way.

Man my reloading budget is going to go crazy this year... twice the lead downrange than my 9mm with every trigger pull! ...anyone know of a good deal on lead 230gr bullets?

Needknees

Welcome to revolver class. First I want to say that don't compare yourself to me as a measuring stick as I am just a hohum revo shooter that does okay. There are alot of better shooters than myself and one of the best that was there was shooting production (Mike Carmoney) or we would have all had our asses handed to us. :cheers:

Now to serious business :roflol: On array to hell the way I shot the stage was to step out of the first box toward the targets to get as close as I could and take the first four. When I moved to the second bay I had 4 rounds in my gun and as I walked I took first 2 targets left to right reloaded and took the next 2 left to right all while walking and never stopping. I continued this all the way to the last bay where I stopped after I cleared the last barrel and took all 4 targets from there. Just walking and shooting will buy you a few seconds and as close as the targets were it worked.

On the belly flopper trying to take a short cut with our revolver we have to remember if we miss will it cost us another reload somewhere down the line and will the short cut buy us that 2 to 3 seconds that extra reload will take if we miss. You were going to move up to the port anyway and you could have saved time by taking the ones through the door first(even though you did not have to take them through the door) move over to the other side take the others and then haul ass up to the port with the 4 rounds you had in your gun take the final 2 steel and 3 paper with only one reload at the port. The time you saved by hauling ass up to the port is where you make up alot of time and you also put yourself closer to the final targets that should make them eaiser to hit and you do not have to aim as long as you would on longer shots.

Try to plan your stages as to run your gun dry on close up targets as the chances of missing are slim and leave your extra rounds for the long shots.

Also on disappearing hell the disappearing targets are only good to go after if you don't have to reload, again take the 4 steel and if you cann throw the final 2 rounds at one of the papers go for it. If you miss one of the steel and you try to put 2 on a paper you have just forced yourself in to another reload. I just shot the 4 steel and did not even try for paper. I figured I could take the steel in 3 to 3.5( I shot 3.69) for someone to beat me they would have to have a minimum of 4.10 with at least 2 D's and no misses on the steel. Also less pressure to take steel only and you have 2 extra rounds to take the steel if you miss. In fact I took 5 rounds at the steel. Just my comments and boy were they long. Again it is just things I have picked up while shooting with the big boys.

Dean

. First I want to say that don't compare yourself to me as a measuring stick as I am just a hohum revo shooter that does okay. There are alot of better shooters than myself

Dean

Dean. that could be anyone. You need to narrow it down some.

. First I want to say that don't compare yourself to me as a measuring stick as I am just a hohum revo shooter that does okay. There are alot of better shooters than myself

Dean

Dean. that could be anyone. You need to narrow it down some.

Okay, somehow I knew that comment would come back to haunt me and I would be amiss if I was not to mention Mr Cliff Walsh as being one of the better revolver shooters that is out there and I probably don't have enough room to list all the other revo people who are better than hohum. But when it comes to the King no one compares to Jerry, not even Sir Cliff. :roflol: