Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N-105 Load For .40 Cal Open Gun??

L9X25

N-105 is pretty slow. I've used it in a "heavy" bullet application for a 9 x 23 with success but would try a faster powder. Limited guns seem to like N- 320, Titegroup, International Clays with 180 gr bullets. If loading to 1911 length, I don't like to go lighter then 165 gr or you don't have much bullet in the case.

Thanks guys, that is basically what I am looking for. Many years ago, I campaigned a 10mm Para Open gun that shot really well. The only problems that I had were getting consistently good bullets. The Nosler 135grs were way expensive and the lead bullets were very inconsistent in the hardness. I once received 5,000 of the 140gr Penn bullets that were all too soft to make major. The gun would not group and I ended up using them as practice bullets. Shortly after that I made the move to 9x25 and finally solved the bullet probelm for good.

I recently learned that a new shooter in our area purchased a .40 Open gun and is looking for loads using some of the new "leading edge" powders. In my day, I used WW540, Blue Dot, AA#7, WAP and WSF. The slower the powder the better the gun felt. I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with the N-105 as that would seem to be the natural progression.

Thanks again and Good Shooting!

Leo

I'd wonder if you can get enough N105 in a 40 case to make Major. It takes 10+gr to get a 124 up to speed in 38 Super, and that's full. The only .40 load VV lists with N105 is a max of 8gr under a 200gr FMJ

Beven had some good comments on .40 Open guns a while back. Maybe they (or he's) around somewhere.

Update: Here's a link to one thread

Bullets are a problem, really good light ones are expensive, I did'nt have any luck at all with cast or plated. 155 montana gold jhp loaded to 1.155 with 9.9 ww571 is the best I've found. still not as flat as a super but pretty good. Larry

Don't count 105 out. Some will tell you it won't work in 9/38 Supercomp but it does work and shoots very flat as a compressed load under 115s or 124s at 1.260 (I do not run hybrid holes). NO pressure signs - you heard me - none. I pack in as much as I can and still the primers look all round like there was never a bullet or charge in front of them when they went off. This is safe stuff in that I cannot get enough in a Supercomp case to show any pressure signs.

Now, you are running an open gun. Where are our European friends on this? Wouldn't there be lots of guys running in Modified with the load you need? I thought Modified was min. 40 cal for major and ports/comp allowed as long as it fits the box?

If 105 fails, the next step faster on V V's burning rate chart is 3N38 w/ a rate between N105 and N350. I believe it takes up less space than N105.

As for light OPEN bullets, here is a radical thought: look in the small classified section of Shotgun News under reloading components. You should find a guy selling zinc bullets. Solid zinc. Very light. Back when open guns were all .45ACP w/ single chamber comps, one trick to get the comp to work much was light zinc .45 bullets. Not sure what results you would get w/ an open .40 but I understand zinc bullets are very cheap. As for toxicity & build up on the comp, beats me.

The only reasonably priced bullets for the .40 open are the laser-cast. Sinterfire makes a nice light bullet but it will cost you your left nut to shoot a full season. The Laser-cast were within +/- .2 grains and were as accurate as any Jacketed bullet. I tried HS-7, Unique and a bunch of other powders before playing with Longshot. It showed no pressure signs and gave plenty of gas volume to work the comp. It shot as flat as any super out there. Longshot was 82 bucks for an 8lb jug. Vit is great but cost twice as much. 0nly problem with the .40 is giving up the couple extra rounds.

I'm kinda drifting my own topic but ...

You guys have followed the same logic that led me to start shooting the 9x25 many many years ago. I had a wonderful Para 10mm open gun and was happy as a clam except for the inconsistent bullet quality. At that time money was tight and, therefore, a real motivating factor. I decided that I was only a barrel and dies away from going 9x25. I made the switch and never looked back. With the 9mm bullets, I have a world of options (even more if the rules did not get in the way). :angry:

I use N-105 and N-110 and always have plenty on hand. I may try the N-105 as I am pretty sure you have enough room in the case.

Thanks again guys,

Leo