Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practical Shooting

Stratochief

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Larry Cazes

Duane, I enjoyed your post immensely. It was an excellent thorough analysis of what lies at the heart of the IDPA vs. USPSA vs. formal training battle. I started out in "practical" pistol training with a small group of people from a local club here in San Jose. The regular club shoots consisted of 2 hours of training in what was called intro to tactical pistol and then was followed by an Action pistol match which consisted mostly of silhouettes and some reactive targets much like IDPA but NO scoring. It was believed that scoring would promote GAMING and that this would be disruptive. My wife and I enjoyed these matches but soon came to want more. We have since found a local USPSA club to shoot with and this has satisfied our desire for a more challenging and fun venue to learn and progress within. We have been given the cold shoulder by quite a few of the tactical guys since they have found out that we are now shooting IPSC. There is a feeling that the experience with USPSA will degrade our tactical and shooting skills. I have never believed that there has to be a reliance on one type of training only. I think that almost any amount and type of trigger time will help a shooters proficiency with a given weapon. Contrary to what we have been told, our shooting skills and gun handling prowess have progressed immensely in a very short period of time from shooting USPSA.

There is a feeling that the experience with USPSA will degrade our tactical and shooting skills.

Any discussion of "tactics" obviously involves opinions, but . . .

To assert or even imply that shooting USPSA matches will "degrade . . . shooting skills" is patently absurd. I don't know how you can avoid laughing when you hear something like that.

I assert that anyone who says or implies as much is either woefully ignorant of reality or they have an enormous axe to grind with the intent of harvesting their huge vineyard full of sour grapes.

It's like saying that driving in Formula I races will degrade your driving skills. Or that studying will make you less intelligent and knowledgeable. Or that exercising will make you weaker and less healthy.

ARGH!

We have been given the cold shoulder by quite a few of the tactical guys since they have found out that we are now shooting IPSC.

That's because you've obviously sold your souls to the Dark Side. ;)

There is a feeling that the experience with USPSA will degrade our tactical and shooting skills. I have never believed that there has to be a reliance on one type of training only. I think that almost any amount and type of trigger time will help a shooters proficiency with a given weapon. Contrary to what we have been told, our shooting skills and gun handling prowess have progressed immensely in a very short period of time from shooting USPSA.

I truly do feel that people who honestly believe they can get everything they need, self-defense training-wise, from either "tactical" classes or match competition, and badmouth whichever one they're not doing, are basically lazy. And I say that as someone who spent years going to training classes before I ever shot IDPA, and years more on top of that before I started USPSA/IPSC.

Guest Larry Cazes

Duane I agree completely. Lazy and unsure of themselves and their abilities. Most of these guys are really afraid to put their skills against others in a public forum or match.