Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just watching Shooting USA

vrmn1

As far as ammo goes, the gold standard is CCI primed rounds, like the standards and mini mags.....The Wolf or SK ammo is the same, Eley primed and comes off the same machines as Lapua ammo......I would look to those for more consistent priming......

DougC

As far as ammo goes, the gold standard is CCI primed rounds, like the standards and mini mags.....The Wolf or SK ammo is the same, Eley primed and comes off the same machines as Lapua ammo......I would look to those for more consistent priming......

DougC

Thanks. I'll try those. We have a neghbor club starting Steel Challenge matches, and my understanding is that they have a rimfire competition as well as the normal one. Hope to get an opportunity to try it out sometime.

I've never figured out how to get a 617 under 8 pounds and keep it reliable enough for match shooting. And believe me I've tried.

The DA trigger on my 617 is every bit of 10+ pounds.....but it's nice and smooth, and it doesn't misfire!

I stand corrected. Great memory has never been one of my strong points.

Is there any particular brand of .22 ammo that never fails? I typically use the 550-round bricks of Federal. Failure rate on these is only ~1 round per brick at the most (my perception, anyway). Had much worse luck with at least one other brand.

I like the 325 rd packs of Federal "Auto Match" from Wal-Mart. Try-em you'll like the price too.

• 2 weeks later...

A trick that I have used since the days of working on 17's & 18's was to stone the stock firing pin to a chisel tip with approximately 1/3 remaining. The chisel tip must be vertical for proper function. I have tried the extended firing pins but they have resulted in compression fractures at the base of the firing pin shoulder. I also use 11# rebound springs, reshape the hammer block safety for snappy trigger reset but have never measured the DA pull. I also use WW primers for all my revolvers and don't fool around with special seating procedures with Federal primers. If I can't load it on my 550 in one pass I am not interested.

I heard a rumor that Jerry has been training with these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsO6BqBvFJw...feature=related

Hahaha, coming from USPSA all I could think about as they did the roll was, "oops, broke the 180, DQ!"

Yea, I agree with you guys on this one, roll=death, any shootin back has a nice tight ball target to plug rounds into as you roll and you're pointing your gun at all sorts of things you don't want to be shooting at. I did like how that one guy de-cocked his sig before going into the roll... I wonder if that came as a result of learning the hard way :surprise: ... hope not.

Yea, I agree with you guys on this one, roll=death, any shootin back has a nice tight ball target to plug rounds into as you roll and you're pointing your gun at all sorts of things you don't want to be shooting at. I did like how that one guy de-cocked his sig before going into the roll... I wonder if that came as a result of learning the hard way :surprise: ... hope not.

Don't knock the roll. That is how I go to my fridge to get a beer.

Ammo wise CCI is dirty but consistent ignition, WW Super X is clean with consistent ignition as is RWS RP50 and Eley. Fed & RP have not been so good in my 617. I campaigned it in the Steel Challenge last & this year and had a great time. I also shoot it in Morro Bay at their SC matches and have had fewer than 5 misfires in thousands of rounds using both CCI & WW in both local & big matches.

I shoot a lot of CCI Blazer for practice. Dirty, not match reliable, interesting muzzle flash/sparks indoors, but accurate enough to put 10 of 10 rds inside the X ring on a 50 ft rapid fire bullseye target (at 50 ft). For serious matches, CCI mini-mags or Federal 711B get used. Used the Mini-Mags for NRA hunter pistol silhouette with my 617-1 way back when.

Edited by Tom E

I have a finicky 617. So I ran a test. I backed off my strain screw until I'd get 2 or 3 misfires out of every 10 shots with Wal-Mart Federals. Then I tested multiple types of .22s. The most reliable that I found with the backed off strain screw was Sellier & Bellot Rex. When I cranked the strain screw back up I have never had a misfire with this ammo. Great for matches. Rex is hard to find. I bought mine at Gander Mountain.