Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

126mm (or 131mm) mags

Desk_jockey

I am a noob production shooter dreaming of open glory in the near future. Right now my focus is on stockpiling some mags so I will have them when I get around to building/buying my STI open gun.

I've bought some 140's and 170's but in researching, it seems that every now and then some open shooters will use a 126 or 130. I guess it makes sense depending on where you plan to reload on a stage but is it common?

How many of you regularly shoot with a 126/130 in a match?

Should I grab a couple of those too?

Not to say that nobody does this, but I've never heard anyone mention it and I've never seen it. If you don't need a big stick to start there's nothing wrong with a standard 140. For classifiers you can just download them as necessary and there wouldn't be any advantage to a 126mm tube since you're talking less weight difference than one additional round in the mag. If you're going to stock up, I'd say 140s and 170s are the way to go.

Hello: The only time I have seen open shooters use the preban 140 mags (130?) is for classifiers with a reload. They start with a 140mm and reload to the 130mm. They say the shorter mag seats faster. I don't know since I shoot Limited. The only time I have used a 126mm mag was on a table start with a low round count. I am sure some of the big time open shooters will tell you more. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The only time I have seen open shooters use the preban 140 mags (130?) is for classifiers with a reload. They start with a 140mm and reload to the 130mm. They say the shorter mag seats faster.

I shoot a Tanfoglio and have some of Henning's short base pads on my magazines. I get 20 rounds in them and the shorter size does make the reloads seem much smoother/quicker.

Hello: The only time I have seen open shooters use the preban 140 mags (130?) is for classifiers with a reload. They start with a 140mm and reload to the 130mm. They say the shorter mag seats faster.

I shoot a Tanfoglio and have some of Henning's short base pads on my magazines. I get 20 rounds in them and the shorter size does make the reloads seem much smoother/quicker.

I have two for just this reason. They reload smoother for me.

I have four pre-ban 140mm mags I use for standards and classifiers with manditory reloads or on a stage where I start on steel then have a short space to reload into a 140mm or 170mm for the rest of the run (usually only do this on a stage with more than 25 rounds and lots of steel. I am by no means a big time shooter, just a lowly B class Open guy working on his A card.

Joe W.