Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working In A Newly Chromed Gun

Stratochief

I have a newly chromed open gun that is extremely tight, I fired about 200 rounds through it and it is still stove-piping almost every round. Does anyone, with any DIRECT experience recommend any particular compound to help work this thing in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I forget the brand but Non-embedding is very important.

I remember Jerry B one year ground up a dremel stone at a major match, maybe Nationals or steel challenge, and put it in Breakfree, tightened the slide in a vise and then lapped in the slide. Not recommended.

Did the gun run like a clock before chroming? I have seen many people chase a zebra when the horse was right in front of them. In plain english, it might not be the hard chrome. :D

I used the finest grit valve lapping compound I could find at the local non-Kragen/Checkers/PepBoys/Autozone/etc. auto parts store. I believe the brand was Clover or Cloverleaf.

Use it VERY sparringly and stop while you think the gun is still too tight. Then go shoot a couple hundred rounds and it will probably be perfect.

Clover valve grinding compound is usually very coarse and imbedding. I wouldn't recommend it for lapping in a slide. Brownells sells some very fine stuff that works well. If it doesn't need much you can lap it with oil and a lot of elbow grease. Get it down to the bare frame and slide and keep it oiled very well while lapping. Stop and clean everything up and re-oil and start again often. You can get it very slick this way. Plain oil works best for this.