Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 grain Bear Creek bullets minor load data requested

twodownzero

I'm loading 147 grain lead truncated cone bullets for my 5" S&W M&P Pro. I have some AA #5, Power Pistol, and Clays available. I believe clays will likely not work with this bullet.

I'm reluctant to use Power Pistol as I think the velocity will be too high, but I'm open to suggestions. I would like to be 125-130 pf (850-900 FPS is fine).

Thanks in advance

3.5 gr solo 1000 with a 1.125 oal gives a 130 pf with the lightest recoil of any 9mm 147 grain load I have ever used. The best part is, absolutely no moly smoke. This is what i load for my wife in her 9mm Kimber SS.

3.5 gr solo 1000 with a 1.125 oal gives a 130 pf with the lightest recoil of any 9mm 147 grain load I have ever used. The best part is, absolutely no moly smoke. This is what i load for my wife in her 9mm Kimber SS.

I found an old post that suggested that when I searched. Power Pistol seems flashy according to some. I'd agree with that (I've loaded it for .45 ACP).

Has anyone tried accurate #2 or #5? Or Universal?

A little research shows Solo 1000 is even faster burning than Clays, which I've heard can have some nasty pressure spikes in 9mm.

Edited by twodownzero

I found an old post that suggested that when I searched. Power Pistol seems flashy according to some. I'd agree with that (I've loaded it for .45 ACP).

Has anyone tried accurate #2 or #5? Or Universal?

A little research shows Solo 1000 is even faster burning than Clays, which I've heard can have some nasty pressure spikes in 9mm.

Don't go just by the chart. Solo 1000 is a single base powder - like the super safe Vihta Vouri powders.

Clays on the other hand, is DOUBLE base - meaning the powder company mixes in actual nitroglycerine with the powder!!! (!) Nitro-freakin'-glycerin!!! No wonder Clays can cause pressure spikes!! (and yes I am being overly dramatic so that hopefully the point sinks in that I prefer single base powder whenever pushing the envelope in reloading. There is a good reason that Vihta Vouri was THE powder for the old Major in Open.).

Solo 1000 is the powder you want. Remember to adjust your Dillon's powder measure to first throw TOO much powder and then work your way down to the load you want. With the Pro's long barrel, you will not need much Solo 1000 for Minor.

Edited by Carlos

I used the 147's from Bear Creek in my 5 in Xd 9mm.. Great loud but severe leading for me..

3.4 gr 231 gave me 950 fps..no smoke, VERY light recoil and smooth..Just bad leading made the cleaning a chore so switched

back to jacketed. I wanted to try some Precision bullets but the guy emailed me atold me the 147's wont stabilize

in an XD?

I used the 147's from Bear Creek in my 5 in Xd 9mm.. Great loud but severe leading for me..

3.4 gr 231 gave me 950 fps..no smoke, VERY light recoil and smooth..Just bad leading made the cleaning a chore so switched

back to jacketed. I wanted to try some Precision bullets but the guy emailed me atold me the 147's wont stabilize

in an XD?

What kind of jacketed bullets did you switch to?

950 FPS is more than I intended to shoot it at, but I'll keep an eye on my barrel anyway, thanks.

I found some Star bullets but they are out of business now..I bought several thousand and now about out..so time to find something I can stick with.

Precision says no stabilize, Zeros are always out of stock...Berrys have them so might have to go that route..Now time to decide on what weight..Buddy of mins says less recoil w 124's but the 147's have been working for me..decisions decisions. HE has some 124's I am going to try

in an XD?

Hey Phil. Just wanted to mention that when I shot production last season, the only load I ever used was either Clays with a 147 moly, or Powerpistol with a 147 Moly. Of course this was with a 5" XD tactical, not a 4" service, but still a XD. Never had any problems, and my gun actually shot better with a heavier bullet. I need to get you to try The 9mm load i am talking about here. When my wife Shot last year, she shot a 45 Kimber. The recoil eventually got to her, and made her very flinchy. This year I bought her the Kimber 9, and wanted the absolute lightest recoiling load I could find. I stopped when I found this Solo 1000 load. After what you mentioned about leading in your xd, I took a look at both the 9 and 40 barrels. I could find no leading. I am really thinking that powder choice played a big role in your leading.

Edited by waxman

231 is supposedly a hot burning powder, as is Titegroup, both of which are common powders for this caliber.

I am going to try to find a pound of solo1000 locally to give it a try. In the mean time, I ordered the Lyman Pistol and Revolver manual, which supposedly has a case-filling compressed load for the 147 grain lead truncated cone load which gives 873 FPS out of a 4". If that is correct (which I have to get it to varify), I should be able to back that load down some and still make minor. I have over 4 lbs. of Clays, and I use it for .45, so it'd be SWEET if I could get it to work safely in 9mm.

Edited by twodownzero

2.9gr of Clays behind a 147gr cast lead flat point bullet out of my 9mm 1911 "consistently" leaves the muzzle at 900fps.

2.7gr Clays avg 870fps

2.4gr Clays avg 820fps

American Select powder works great for 147grainers too.

Edited by parisite

Similar to my results with the nominal 147 gr Mizzou bullet (weighs 149 for me):

3.5 gr Solo1000 = 898(sd=12), PF 133

2.9gr of Clays behind a 147gr cast lead flat point bullet out of my 9mm 1911 "consistently" leaves the muzzle at 900fps.

2.7gr Clays avg 870fps

2.4gr Clays avg 820fps

American Select powder works great for 147grainers too.

Thank you so much! Looks like 2.7 will do it. Any signs of pressure? 2.8 is the max in the Lyman pistol and revolver manual, per the guys on another website.

How was cycling? What spring do you use?

I very recently bought a new Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 and have been doing some experimenting with 147gr bullets and various powders. These velocities are with bullets I purchased from Missouri Bullets. My cycling was fine but I do not know the stock spring weight. Keep in mind I am using a 5'' barrel.

Power Pistol is good too but at reduced loads is pretty dirty. I think I am going to settle on American Select powder for my 1911 however. Burns very clean at reduced loads and still has the capability to step up the velocity quite a bit with no ill effects if so desired.

I very recently bought a new Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 and have been doing some experimenting with 147gr bullets and various powders. These velocities are with bullets I purchased from Missouri Bullets. My cycling was fine but I do not know the stock spring weight. Keep in mind I am using a 5'' barrel.

Power Pistol is good too but at reduced loads is pretty dirty. I think I am going to settle on American Select powder for my 1911 however. Burns very clean at reduced loads and still has the capability to step up the velocity quite a bit with no ill effects if so desired.

I'll be using a 5" barrel as well (S&W M&P Pro).

I figured Power Pistol would be dirty, because it is a medium powder designed for higher velocity and more powerful loads. I was looking for a faster power to get the pressure up there without too much velocity.

I've been cranking out .45s for the past few hours (I haven't had my press set up, I just moved) and I'm back in business!

• 6 months later...

in an XD?

Listen, This will help you with ANY lead cleaning. This is an old recipe: Use half white vinegar and half hydrogen peroxide in a mason jar. Let it sit for 5 minutes and come back and put a patch thru it and the lead will be GONE!! this is not a joke, I'm surprised that more shooters don't know about it. I've tried Shooters Choice, Montana Extreme with their smelly Ammonia bases and wore out barrel brushes left and right. Give this a try. At 1.00x2@ Dollar General; You won't be dissapointed. Wish someone had told me about this years earlier as leading is no longer an issue.... You can use this Jar over and over for months as the solution stays active. There is no harsh smell or foaming etc. Good luck and pass this on...

• 3 weeks later...

We use 50/50 mix of vinegar and peroxide to clean the lead and residue out of our suppressors. But we let it soak for a couple of days and slosh the container a couple of times and the lead and residue is dissolved and the suppressors are clean. We rinse them off, dry them and put them back together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...