Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Factory Crimp Die

I've got a Dillon square deal that I just started reloading on for my .45 and was wondering if anyone had any comments as to weather or not if I use this die in my old single stage press after I load on my dillon will it make a difference? I am having some ftf with my reloads from guns that are 100 percent with factory

I use one for .40 and one for .45 and have been pleased with them. They work well when loading cast bullets and can help with variation in case thickness. I think you should give one a try. Just don't try using it in a Dillon press! The two products may interact and give off poisonous gas!

I use Lee Factory Crimping Dies for .38 and .44, which are roll crimps, and for 45ACP, which is taper crimp. These dies resize the cartride as it exits the crimping die and I am very pleased with their performance. If you are going to use the FCD in a separate press then make sure that you don't crimp in the Dillon press or you'll end up double crimping.

i use one in my 650,once you vent all that poisonus gas out of the shop it works better than anything ive used yet

I've got over 30k through mine with 5k of them using the lee fcd i also use the lee decap-resize die and yes i do double crimp with no problems.I now wish i had all the a-merc brass i got rid of!

i ran a few 357sig casses through and they shot just fine in their new life as a 40 case!

Ya gotta check out some of the cool mods these guys have dreamed up in the reloading section.I've used a few and love em.

I hadn't thought of the double crimp issue so far we've had one vote for not double crimping and one vote to double crimp. any more thoughts on this is it a safety issue? I probably should try this in my 9x23 also so you suppose the lee 9mm die will work on my winchester cases?

I have used it since I started loading .40 for competition (approx. 30K rounds).

Since I reload on a Lee Pro-1000 (Ok, I know all the Dillon talks stuff, but here in Italy they are really expensive: about 4 times my Lee; maybe in the future I could order a 650 from BE, I saw the prices are really nice) that has only 3 stations, I usually FCD my rounds on a second single-stage press.

My setup is: seat the bullet and eliminate the brass belly with the seating and crimping die (actually no crimp in this stage), then switch all loads to the FCD where I crimp them.

I think the Pro 1000 is a good little press. Especially for the money. If Lee can update/redesign it to a four position press I may get another one. I don't shoot much .45 anymore and would get a Pro 1000 in .45 just for that cartridge.

Tokarev,

I contacted Lee precision to know if the 4-hole new turret of the Lee Turret press will ever be available on the Pro-1000, but the answer was they have no plans for it, because if you need a 4 or 5 stations press you can upgrade to a Load Master. :(

Well, lets not call it "double crimp" but rather, "progressive crimp" (how's that for political correctness??!?). Anyway, I do this on 9 Supercomp though without the FCD. Why? I load Supercomp/9x23 with 115 Montana bullets and V V N-105 powder - which requires a compressed charge of this very slow powder. Problem was, I would seat the bullet on one station and by the next stage, the crimp stage, the OAL had changed! I almost gave up on N105. Then I found an old RCBS 9mm combo seat & crimp die I had laying around. I ordinarily do not like these type of dies because they are hard to set up, hard to change OAL on and I believe inconsistent. However, I was able to fiddle w/ the thing enough to put enough crimp on the case to keep the OAL where I wanted it - at least temporarily. Last stage is now a real crimp die (the Dillon 9mm crimp die w/ the excellent bell on it) for a real firm crimp - sadly my compressed loads need a more healthy crimp to prevent OAL "growth" over time. I do not see a problem w/ "double crimp".

FCD = good

As for crimping in two stages, it's the total amount of crimp that matters, not the number of dies required to get the job done.

Excessive crimp = bad

just my .o2

Travis F.

Doesn't the Square Deal use proprietary dies? If so, the Lee FCD won't fit. The Dillon crimp die makes a nicer crimp anyway, IMO. The Lee FCD is useful for high pressure cases like .40 S&W and .38 Super where you want the extra sizing ring at the bottom of the Lee FCD to take out feed ramp bulge that may be lower than the Dillon sizing die can get to.

You are right the Dillon sdb won't take the lee die so my plan is to use the fcd on my old single stage press. I really think I'll see more benefits with my 9x23 gun, than my .45 but I still need to know if the 9mm fcd will work with winchester 9x23 brass?

Harley45,

a Lee FCD for 9 mm (9x19, 9x21) is already available, I use it when reloading my 9x21 ammo. Lee website lists it as #90860 (here).

I gave a peek at case dimensions (here) and I'm quite confident that a Lee FCD for 9 mm Luger will work for 9x23 (or 9 SuperComp): the only difference in brass seems to be a slightly smaller (.002") base and rim diameter.

FCD is GOOD !

:wub:

I use it for all the pistol calibers I shoot, 40sw, 38 super and 9 luger.

I discovered it when I was shooting BUL M5s with theirs tight chamber compared to my previous gun (a G35) .

I had trouble at the beginning, before I put a FCD on my press.

After, all worked good !

Hmm, I stand corrected. Curious that the Lee website should list the 9mm die on one page but not on the page which was found via their search facility. It appears that Skywalker67 has provided your answer.