Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers

I have an old dillon 450 that I inherited from my dad and I am having problems with the old primers falling into the little metal cup. Most of them do but 1 out of 5 will miss the cup and fall on the floor. What kind of adjustment can I make to fix this problem.

When this was happening to me, it turned out that the platform for the brass feed was cracked. It eventually fell off and problem solved when it was replaced. I was taping notecards etc on the cup to catch the flyers. Root cause was a broken part though.

When this was happening to me, it turned out that the platform for the brass feed was cracked. It eventually fell off and problem solved when it was replaced. I was taping notecards etc on the cup to catch the flyers. Root cause was a broken part though.

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look when I get home

It sounds like the split pin the spent primer catcher pivots on is bent, which sometimes prevents

the catcher from closing. Pull the pin out, and replace it with a small safety pin. Open the pin,

push the pointy ends through the holes, then snap it closed. This gives you a hardened steel

axle for the catcher to pivot on. On 550s this usually corrects the problem. :ph34r:

I reduced the spring pressure so they don't get shot out like a bullet (550) I also put a tube on there to funnel the spent primers to a can on the floor. Work pretty well... I still get a few hitting the bench though.

EDIT: Do some searching you will find a bunch on the subject.

Edited by JThompson