Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poll: Gun cleaning

safenate

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I started hunting with my dad when I was a little kid. He taught me that when you got home, you cleaned your gun . . . RIGHT THEN.

Since then, I've sort of adopted a rule I picked up from someone else: Every 1000 rounds or once a month (if it's been fired that month), whichever comes first for a gun that doesn't get carried much.

I don't think I've ever fired 1000 rounds in a month. (I'm working on it this month :rolleyes: ) I usually clean them more often than that. But my Smith & Wesson Sigma has gone for months after shooting without being cleaned. And never had a problem with it.

When I do clean them, I clean them good. I take 30 minutes or so and scrub it til it looks like new. I had one instructor who thought I'd brought a brand new gun to class. It had over a thousand rounds through it. :P

A gun that gets carried daily probably should be cleaned once a week, whether it's fired or not.

Now, my new Kimber is just too pretty to be dirty. I've had it about a month, fired 500+ through it, and it's been cleaned good a half dozen times. And wiped down countless times. Ooh, there's a little oil seeping out around the slide rail, let me go wipe that off.

Well I have never had a failure due to my revolver not being clean. I usually go through 100 rounds in a practice session, and may go through 300 rounds a month. This is mainly because I shoot two or three guns in a practice session (single action revolver, double action revolver, and auto pistol).

I am not really a big follower of shooting 1000+ rounds in a firearm per session, week, or each month. I don't even dry fire my handguns much (almost never). I primarily look at videos on youtube and stage designs from various matches and think through how I would approach them. I come up with drills from going through those media and practice them when I go to the range. I don't give myself more than 3 times through a shooting string, because as I see it you don't get to go through stages as many times as you like.

I compete in USPSA, IDPA, CAS, and Steel Challenge as often as I can. The four disiplines work to improve my firearm handling skills quite a bit.

A large part of my view on training comes from the fact that I participate in so many sports. Along with the four above I compete in olympic style fencing in the Foil and Epee events. I have been fortunate to qualify and participate in 8 of the last 9 US Fencing Summer Nationals in either Foil, Epee, or both. Therefore do multiple practices on multiple days a week, as opposed to focusing on one sport.

Why limit myself unles I have to. :D