Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Locking the shoulders?

1911jerry

I could use a little help on what is meanth by locking the shoulders and how to accomplish this.

I have tried to lock the shoulders, but my elbows also lock out. I do shoot more accurate, but my speed sucks.

Any tips?

Jerry

I like to think that my hands are locked both together and into the gun, more or less just a feeling, I want everything else to be unlocked in feeling. But, then again, when all I care about is the front sight or dot I shoot my best.

Jerry,

No tension. Take the air out of your elbows and shoulders. The only "firmness" you might feel is in the weak hand

grip. Just remember that tension ruins what we're trying to do here.

Jim

:goof: I know that one! ...I can help you.

I see plenty of shooters - throw - their shoulders out of the joint , to far forward when they shoot.

The shoulders are the strongest when they stay in the popper "design" location.

I don't know that I have the skill on the key board to tell you - it is something that takes some demonstration.

<_< The wrong shoulder unlock = would be like if you were trying to swat a fly that was out of reach out in front of you.

The proper shoulder "in the Joint" lock would be if you were about to push a very big door open.

The shoulder should stay back, in line with your ears. IF the shoulder joint go farther forward than your ears = it would be out of joint and much weaker than if it stayed back.

Kind of like you were tying to pick up a bucket off a table with just your elbows pressing in at belt level.

Did I make that perfectly confusing?

This is better with out a shirt on and your head pointing strait in front- extend your arms into shooting position. = you should not be able to see any part of your shoulder when you cut your eyes left and right. now roll your shoulder forward so that you can see the shoulder....= that is the wrong place = roll them back out of your peripheral sight, that is the rite place for the shoulder.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I see plenty of shooters - throw - their shoulders out of the joint , to far forward when they shoot.

I don't know that I have the skill on the key board to tell you - it is something that takes some demonstration.

<_< The wrong shoulder unlock = would be like if you were trying to swat a fly that was out of reach out in front of you.

The proper shoulder "in the Joint" lock would be if you were about to push a very big door open.

The shoulder should stay back, in line with your ears. IF the shoulder joint go farther forward than your ears = it would be out of joint and much weaker than if it stayed back.

Kind of like you were tying to pick up a bucket off a table with just your elbows pressing in at belt level.

This is better with out a shirt on and your head pointing strait in front- extend your arms into shooting position. = you should not be able to see any part of your shoulder when you cut your eyes left and right. now roll your shoulder forward so that you can see the shoulder....= that is the wrong place = roll them back out of your peripheral sight, that is the rite place for the shoulder.

Sori to jump in, but it makes sense to me and might even help get the shakes out. When u roll them forward it's like reaching beyond your reach and in my case causes me to shake. I just tried putting them where they belong and not near as much shake. thanks!

Jamie,

Thanks, I get it now.

Now to go out and practice it.

Jerry

Jamie,

Thanks, I get it now.

Now to go out and practice it.

Jerry

A good drill can be to use a string three feet long and a jug of water or 5 to 10 bls with the string looped over a unloaded gun. Just hold the thing up in shooting position for 25second sets. :mellow: you Will get your shoulders in the rite place very quick.

I have this problem too. I've found that during practice, my accuracy is more consistent when my shoulders are loose and my arms are extended but not locked. The weapon is harder to control this way (in my case a Government Model shooting 230 ball) but in time I will learn to control the gun better. as for speed, that comes with a lot of practice - smooth = fast.

The best advice I can give is the advice given to me, practice on control and accuracy first. Control is #1 - speed will come in time.