Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with AR accuracy

TMC

Hey guys I need any input on why my rifle will not group. My JP 18" barrel with approx 10K through it would not group at 100 yards, the accuracy was about 2.5". I have 3 shooting buddies with the same barrel and their guns will shoot less than 1" at 100 with my ammo. I thought it was due to Winchester 55's but I have tried Nosler 69 BTHP's and Sierra Ballistic tip 55's with the same result. I had given up thinking it was the barrel so I bought a new Saber Defense 20" SS 1x8. The fist day out with all the above ammo got me the same results as the JP barrel. I chronoed the ammo and found the 55' were going 3250 and the 69's were going 2950. I loaded a new batch to get the 55's down to 3050 and the 69 down to 2800 but no better results. I have tried different scopes up to a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 and different people shooting but no luck.

The rifle has an unknown brand mil-spec flat top receiver, Saber barrel, JP gas block, JP stainless LW bolt carrier & recoil system, JP Handguard, Olympic lower with JP trigger. I have found no cracks in the upper and nothing is loose that I can tell.

Any ideas?

Have you let someone else try shooting your rifle? Try shooting some factory ammunition. Are you using the same bolt and carrier? Have you checked the headspace on the rifle? It sounds like the bolt is causing the rifle to have excessive headspace which is ruining your groups. Another possible issue could be the brake. Are you using the same brake on the new barrel? Try shooting the rifle without the brake if it headspaces ok. Did you install the barrel? One other possible issue could be the barrel or the handguard/ free float tube has been installed incorrectly causing slight movement. PM me if you need more help.

Have you let someone else try shooting your rifle? Try shooting some factory ammunition. Are you using the same bolt and carrier? Have you checked the headspace on the rifle? It sounds like the bolt is causing the rifle to have excessive headspace which is ruining your groups. Another possible issue could be the brake. Are you using the same brake on the new barrel? Try shooting the rifle without the brake if it headspaces ok. Did you install the barrel? One other possible issue could be the barrel or the handguard/ free float tube has been installed incorrectly causing slight movement. PM me if you need more help.

I'm one of the "buddies" mentioned in the first post, and did shoot TMC's rifle. I could get a few shots to group and then a flyer or two also.......I'm also confused.

When Todd (TMC) chroned the loads, there were huge spreads (am i right Todd ?).....could that be a head space issue ?????...........How does that get adjusted???

Dan

Edited by D.carden

Are you canting the rifle?

Possibly resting the barrel on something while shooting?

Most weapons problems in quality weapons can be traced to the "nut behind the grip".

Since you're already switching out components and achieved the same result I would think that its you and not the weapon.

Have someone watch you and figure out whats going on.

If noting from you then its probably time for that trip to a reputable gunsmith.

JK

Well I just got back from the range and to make a long story short it was the comp. After posting I went into the garage to look things over and noticed the last plate on the comp had some shiny marks on one side. Went to the range and shot the 69's with no comp. With a good wind coming over my left shoulder making it hard to hold steady it shot 1 1/4" group. I put on a differnt comp than yesterday and it shot the same 1" +/- with a slighty different point of impact. It shot the Sierra 55's, which are going 2350fps and then some, and got about the same 1" group. I'M SO HAPPY :D

I guess I should have looked the gun over more closely before posting. :P

I will check the headspace and see if that may be causing the extreme velocity spreads.

Thanks guys!

my sabre 20" 1 in 8" really likes hornady 75's and varget and LC brass and fed 205m primers. it also likes 77 sierras and noslers and bergers, but it likes hornadys better at longer ranges, i think cause' they're a bit shorter, and they are cheaper, and so am i....... winchester 55's pretty much suck, and any 55's won't shoot as good as the heavier(longer) ones in 1 in 8". just my saturday nite $.02...... :cheers:

Edited by bigsaxdog