Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lower Receiver

Ed Deegan

Ok,

Potentially, my lovely bride and I will shoot 3 gun in the future. For all the reasons inferred or implied, which AR lowers would you get if you were going to stockpile a couple extra in the back of the safe? Billet, forged?

I would rather NOT go to another forum for all of the reasons that this one is the absolute best.

Any other reasons?

Thanks

The forged receivers are more than adequate. Billet is stronger, more expensive (2X+) and does not function any better. Billet does however dress up better so if you are into pretty that might be your ticket but if the question is 2 billet lowers vs. 5 forged lowers, more is better.

The type of receiver you buy is relatively unimportant. The fact that they are mil spec is criticial so no matter what you buy, get someone in the know to verify it is in mil spec before you sock it away. Based on my experience the following receivers have never been out of mil spec: LMT, Stag, Mega, Double Star. Everyone makes an out of spec receiver from time to time but it is the inhouse quality control that makes a difference.

You can get a stripped lower now for about $100.00. They are never going to be cheaper. The odds are they are going much higher. Long term, they are as good an investment as a CD.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...