Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Go To" Safe

Enthusiast

I guess this question fits here as well as anywhere else.

I did some queries and didn't find anything pertinent.

I'm looking at getting a new, small safe for the bedroom. You know, something I can keep a pistol and a few valuables out of the reach of prying fingers, but can still get into in a hurry. I guess I'm really looking at either the GunVault or the BioVault. Do you guys have any experience with either? Is it worth the extra $ for the finger print scan? It seems like it would be pretty sweet. I did see one post on another forum saying that they don't work, but plent of others say that it's the best.

Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I've had the GunVault (without fingerprint scan) for 2 years now. The only issue was that it had to have NEW fresh batteries installed to work properly. I initially installed unused batteries that had been on the shelf for a couple of years and had problems - called the company, and actually talked to a human right away. He said to use batteries with a newer "good until date", and although I was doubtful, it immediately solved the problem. I now have the AC adapter plugged in, and the batteries are just for back-up.

It gets used a couple of times almost every day and has been great!

Maybe it's just me having watched too many action films, but AikiDale is not going to have some gremlin chopping off my fingers to get into my safe. I figure I have more time to adapt, improvise and overcome if they have to make me remember the combination.

Maybe it's just me having watched too many action films, but AikiDale is not going to have some gremlin chopping off my fingers to get into my safe. I figure I have more time to adapt, improvise and overcome if they have to make me remember the combination.

In theory the good bio sensors can tell the difference between live and severed fingers and disallow the severed ones. I have no idea how they expect to test that.

Got fingers? :surprise::roflol:

What next?

Retina scans?

JK

Remember the guy with the other guy's eyeball on a stick to bypass the retina scan? No body parts for ID!

Just to prove I'm not a total neo-Luddite I will stipulate it is okay by me to use voice recognition biometrics to access government buildings and ATM machines.

:)

Thanks all for the input. It seems like the old gunvault is the tried and true way to go. Now, did you guys get the deluxe job with the light and doo-hickies? Or just the original flavor. I'm thinking the AC adapter would be worth it all by itself.

In theory the good bio sensors can tell the difference between live and severed fingers and disallow the severed ones. I have no idea how they expect to test that.

Don't some people donate their bodies to science? Seems like a perfectly reasonable use of some body parts that otherwise might not get used....

I did not know that. And if I didn't know it whats to say the bad guys do know that? In other words, chop, chop, oops that don't work. :ph34r:

Whatever you do, don't get the cheapo GunVault clone from Gander Mountain. I forget the brand name.

I just bought one and gave it a little test. Drop it on its side, and the door will just pop open. Not a high drop, just 5-8 inches over carpet. The latch is just spring-closed, and the jolt of the drop allows the latch to overcome the spring, and open the door.

It will be going back to GM, with a warning to the manager that they are selling a product with a serious liabilty flaw.

Edited by Anon

Whatever you do, don't get the cheapo GunVault clone from Gander Mountain. I forget the brand name.

I just bought one and gave it a little test. Drop it on its side, and the door will just pop open. Not a high drop, just 5-8 inches over carpet. The latch is just spring-closed, and the jolt of the drop allows the latch to overcome the spring, and open the door.

It will be going back to GM, with a warning to the manager that they are selling a product with a serious liabilty flaw.

Good tip. I'll be on the watch for that. The name brand GunVault isn't subject to that same issue is it?

I bought a GunVault brand mini-safe when I bought my first pistol back in college. It's decent for the $ and the batteries last a couple years in mine even though I'm in it about 10x per week (I keep my beater dryfire/practice production gun in there). I have the model w/ the bells/whistles and will actually be getting another soon (little-one on the way, like the idea I can see if they've been trying to guess combos).

One downside:

I've reset the combo a few times in the winter after walking across carpet in my socks then touching the safe.... Not very good ESD protection, obviously.

It is what it is... not real theft protection, but keeps curious hands off and it's pretty quick to get into.

-rvb

I bought a GunVault brand mini-safe when I bought my first pistol back in college. It's decent for the $ and the batteries last a couple years in mine even though I'm in it about 10x per week (I keep my beater dryfire/practice production gun in there). I have the model w/ the bells/whistles and will actually be getting another soon (little-one on the way, like the idea I can see if they've been trying to guess combos).

One downside:

I've reset the combo a few times in the winter after walking across carpet in my socks then touching the safe.... Not very good ESD protection, obviously.

It is what it is... not real theft protection, but keeps curious hands off and it's pretty quick to get into.

-rvb

Ha! Nice. Well, I guess if I hear the alarm, I'll be sure to put on my ESD smock and heel straps before I gear up. My Quality guy would be Oh So Proud.

I looked at the Gun Vault, as it seems to be the most prolific one out there, but I didn't like the idea of reaching in from the front. On top of that, I didn't like how the door slammed open, thinking this would not be good for the furniture.

I wound up getting the ADG Sports "Secure Vault - Model 33018." Inside dimensions of 8.5 x 11 x 2.5 inches. The top of it opens upward. I haven't tried the drop test, so I don't know if it would withstand that without opening. It's powered by eight (8) AA batteries and it eats them alive if you use the electronic buttons to open it a lot. I normally use the key to save batteries. We have a bunch of NiMH batts here at the house, so that's what I use. If you change one set of four before removing the other set of four, you won't have to reprogram your password. Also, the little button you have to hold to program the thing was impossible to find the first time. I mainly got it to keep our son away from the house gun. When we're away from home, all guns live in the big safe.

Overall I'd give it 4/5 stars. Using 8 batteries is the only downside.