Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45-70 favorite loads

bumper

I tried searching the arhives - - no joy.

What's your favorite load for the 45-70 Government?

I've got a RCBS 405 grain, gas check, bullet mold ordered. This is for a Marlin lever 1895 GS guide gun. Hard cast bullets for bear protection while airplane camping.

Also plan to experiment with loading some cases with #6 shot.

Any suggestions appreciated.

bumper

405 Hard cast load, as much H322 as you can stuff in the case is pretty much the standard Marlin Guide Gun load. I loaded in a Ruger #1 so could load a little higher pressure, I also used Barns X bullet 350 gr spitzers loaded with a hole bunch of 4198, An ole timey moose hunter I used to swap emails with used a Lever gun 45/70 and swore by Speer hotcore 350's (which can be used in a tube magazine) with a max charge of RL7.

IMR makes a powder that supposedly works great in the older big cases like 45-70 and 40-65. I never really messed with it though.

My load for my handi-rifle was 65 grains of FFg by volume with a vegatable fiber wad soaked in lube and lots of SPG to help keep the fouling soft and a 405 grain Bear Creek bullet. For bear I bet it'd work well, but I'm sure your looking for smokeless.

Go find a cowboy action match and I bet you'll get the info you are looking for.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I snatched up five boxes of the Cast Performance 460 gr. FNGC from the Bargain Cave at Cabela's and I load them with a heavy charge of IMR 4198. I was getting 1812 FPS out of my Guide Gun but have since reduced the load a bit just to be on the safe side. I have complete reliability and no signs of high pressure in a load that will easily take anything that walks the planet. This is not a load to shoot off the bench if you suffer from neck or back pain, though.

I also like 405 gr. cast bullets over a moderate charge of XMP5744. This reduced load is still a solid performer and is all most people will need for the field.

Another interesting load is a .457" round ball over about 10 grs. of 231. This is very accurate and good for small pests. I have also had decent results with the 255 gr. RNFP sized .454" for the .45 Colt. I didn't think it would work very well, but it did.

These are the only loads I ever use anymore. There's really no need for anything else. I never considered shot cartridges, but now you got me thinking. I don't know if shot capsules for the .45 Colt would work or of they'd be too small. Or maybe they could be paper patched...

Dave Sinko

Good Evening

I shoot a lot of 45 -70 and my favorite load by far for smokeless powder is something my Brother brewed up

405 Gr. Oregon Trail Cast Lead bullet over 24.0 Grains of IMR SR4759 and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Very Accurate and cost effective

Be careful as you could double charge a round and Blow yourself to Smithereens .

Enjoy

SWandME

Good Evening

I shoot a lot of 45 -70 and my favorite load by far for smokeless powder is something my Brother brewed up

405 Gr. Oregon Trail Cast Lead bullet over 24.0 Grains of IMR SR4759 and use the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Very Accurate and cost effective

Be careful as you could double charge a round and Blow yourself to Smithereens .

Enjoy

SWandME

I've often wondered how to spell "smithereens". Thanks :D

Edited by DonT

My favorite for plinking is a 300 grain along with 40.9 of 3031 as its shoulder friendly. If I had to shoot a bear to save my skin I would use my “hot” load, 350 grain with 56.1 3031 (warning that’s max, so start low and work up). FWIW that last load will bruise your shoulder with just one shot in normal hunting clothes out of my 1895 (kicks harder than my 50 bmg).

• 5 years later...

I've been really liking the 405 gr jacketed soft nose rounds with 3031. Makes around 1600 fps.

On a side note I chronoed some of the Hornaday evolution 325gr rounds and was surprised. Most factory 45-70 rounds seem to chrono around 1200 to 1300fps. I assumed this was because they have to produce the ammo at the maximum pressure for all 45-70 firearms that might be on the market still. The hornaday rounds 2 of them came out at 1912 and 1867 fps. I don't buy the lever evolution ammo anymore since I started reloading as the cases are not standard length but it is interesting they have no warnings on the box about possible higher pressures other than they are made for guns originally chambered in that caliber. Sorry, back on topic.... :)