Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One of my other hobbies

Brian Payne

My wife and I raise American Paint Horses and this is my 9 yr. old Stallion "Tigger".

He is looking a little rough because he is no longer in show shape. We have numerous Grand Championships and Reserve Grand Championships to our credit. He is a blast and great to have around.

This hobbie is just as expensive (probably more so) as 3-gunning but is very relaxing for both my wife and I.

He has a partial blue eye which is one of the charactaristics of Paint horses.

post-5372-1217245103.jpg

My wife and I raise American Paint Horses and this is my 9 yr. old Stallion "Tigger".

He is looking a little rough because he is no longer in show shape. We have numerous Grand Championships and Reserve Grand Championships to our credit. He is a blast and great to have around.

This hobbie is just as expensive (probably more so) as 3-gunning but is very relaxing for both my wife and I.

He has a partial blue eye which is one of the charactaristics of Paint horses.

That is a gorgeous horse! My grandparents have a Morgan farm and they are amazing animals.

Because I know about horses please explain why if he is a paint horse he isn't white and splotchie? (Technical term) I have seen other horses advertised as paint and they were colored similar. I am just curious. Thanks

Doug, that is a discussion you won't win..seems like there is something in the rules which allow non splotchy horses to be called paints...even two kinds of regular paints, tobiano and overo...who'd a thought it.

Why the long face...?

No long face...my brother has a few horses and one of them is a "paint", as in not bicolored....logic tells me that paint horses should be two colors IMO....just another of the many things I don't completely understand and have discussed this with him many times...still do not understand the distinctions that cause a single color phase animal to be considered a paint...

Still a beautiful animal.

Edited by tightloop

Tigger is what is called a "minimal white overo". He does have spots large enough to qualify as a regular registered paint, they just aren't all over his body. He has them on his side. The spot only needs to be 1" long by 3" wide (I think) with underlying pink skin.

Flexmoney,

As for the long face, well.... Tigger is a Stallion, he only gets to spend time with other horses when it is time for him to do what God put him on earth to do. His duty is done for the year. Possibly thinking it will be a long cold Minnesota winter with no "companionship" :surprise: .

We raised horses in my early years.

We had a half Arabian half Paint that was white/bay(brown).

We bred her to our grey Arabian stud horse and got the prettiest Bay/white 3/4 arab that aside from color you'd think was 100% arab you could ask for.

2 years later we did the same pairing. We then got the ugliest all grey colt. Weird thing though, his hair was grey all over, but his skin was "Paint" as when he got wet he was a black/white. :wacko: (he was a gelding as soon as possible, to keep from that mixture going any farther in the genepool)

Good looking "trigger" you got there.

Hopalong

Nice!

My GF has three horses. Two older ones that she used to use a jumpers but now she just breeds them. Heres one shes keeping and starting to train. Picks are a couple months old but shes gonna be a handful.

DSCN0028-1.jpg

Edited by rrflyer

Tin Can

Pinto is a "Color". Ancestory can include Quarter Horse, Arabian, Morgan, etc..

Paint is an actual "Breed" of horse. Ancestory can only include "Paint" and "Quarter Horse". I explain to most people that the "Paint" is actually a Quarter Horse - only prettier. The Paint Horse allows two types of Registry: 1. Regular Registry, which is any appropriately bred horse that has the proper white markings on the body. 2. Breeding Stock Registry, that is the exact same bred horse but was born with no proper white markings.

"Tigger" is Regular Registry but my three mares are Breeding Stock Registry or Quarter Horse. We average about 60% colored foals (having enough white markings to make Regular Registry). The fun part is you will never know from one year to the next what type of color you are going to get from the exact same matchup of Stallion and Mare. I will try to find some photo's to post to better explain.