Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas system length on a 11.5" upper

chp5

What's the length of the gas system on an 11.5" AR upper? Is it the same as a 14.5" upper? Does it vary by manufacturer?

I'm planning on having my smith cut a 14.5" barrel down to an 11.5" SBR. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks.

• 2 months later...
I've always preferred a 10.5" LMT over an 11.5.

Matt - my research indicates that the 11.5 is slightly easier to make reliable than the 10.5. What do you think? Thx.

True, but I've never heard a bad comment on a LMT 10.5"

I just think the 11.5 looks fugly, might as well go with a 14.5 at that point.

Thanks Russell. Any suggestions on makes for an 11.5"?

We have Sabre Defence 11.5" uppers in stock...

I don't see them on the web site. Do you sell just the barrel, handguards and gas tube? I have an 16" upper I'd like to convert.

Also - any comments on the Del-Ton 11.5" barrel? I looks like it's a Wilson barrel with chrome lined as an option: 11.5

Edited by chp5

I just got a DPMS 11.5" from Brownells. I was suprised to see the barrel was marked "chrome-lined", as this was not advertised in the catalog, and DPMS' catalog specifies "not chrome lined". With my LEO discount it was $153. When my upper and bolt assy. arrive from Del-ton, I will have all the parts to finish my SBR.

LMT makes a great 10.5" gun (I own one). The more amount of barrel you have forward of the gas port the better the gun will work.

For me I find that 12.5" is about as practical as any SBR. My barrel is a Bushmaster barrel that was 14.5" I find that it shoots much softer than my 10.5"

125SBR.jpg

LMT makes a great 10.5" gun (I own one). The more amount of barrel you have forward of the gas port the better the gun will work.

For me I find that 12.5" is about as practical as any SBR. My barrel is a Bushmaster barrel that was 14.5" I find that it shoots much softer than my 10.5"

To what dimension did you open up the gas port? Thx

To what dimension did you open up the gas port? Thx

I'm not sure what he opened it up to. Randall at www.ar15barrels.com did the work.