Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightened bolt carriers?

Polytech

Are the benifits of a lightened carrier enough to justify the expense, or is it money better spent on an adjustable gas block? I have an 18" barrrel with rifle gas system and a miculek comp (probably will switch to a benny cooley soon though)

Thanks,

Polytech

Someone will correct me if im wrong but the Ar gas system is just that, a system, and changing one part of the system may result in a little performance gain, but if you match the components for best efficiancy the result is much better. You already have a good efficient comp, adding a light bolt carrier and an adjustable gas block will net the most desireable result. JP's instructions for adjusting the gas system are a good thing to read.

Someone will correct me if im wrong but the Ar gas system is just that, a system, and changing one part of the system may result in a little performance gain, but if you match the components for best efficiancy the result is much better. You already have a good efficient comp, adding a light bolt carrier and an adjustable gas block will net the most desireable result. JP's instructions for adjusting the gas system are a good thing to read.

Your right, you cant have one without the other. A lightened carrier without a block will just go faster and beat everything

up. On the otherhand you could run an adjustable gas block to slow down the stock carrier...

Thanks for the info fellas, I'm just kinda exploring my options to make my rifle (and me) faster. I kinda think I'm not good enough to justify those additional expenses yet. If it should be approached as a system I'll probably just keep plugging along with the stock stuff until I can get it in one shot, I need a nice jp trigger before the light go-fast stuff anyway ;)

Edited by Polytech

Biggest problem with AR system is wear at the gas port letting more and more gas in. Real problem with full auto's they keep picking up the rate of fire and component wear goes way up.

Adjustable gas blocks are useful, but adjusting the bolt weight, buffer weight, spring weight is tricky. I like to see a discussion on how to balance and adjust them.

"Adjustable gas blocks are useful, but adjusting the bolt weight, buffer weight, spring weight is tricky. I like to see a discussion on how to balance and adjust them."

So would Colt and FN :D

The Reader's Digest version. Bolt carrier as light as practical titanium/aluminum/lightened stainless. Buffer as light as practical, yet retaining some kind of dampening, or you get bolt bounce out of battery and light hits. Spring only as strong as needed to strip the top round off a full magazine. Gas block adjusted just to the point of lock back on empty mag + a little for reliability. KurtM

When I switched from a Colt 1/2 circle non shrouded AR15 bolt carrier (8.63oz) to a JP LMOS (6.25oz) carrier on my 3gun rifle (RRA midlength barrel) I had to open up the gas port .005" of an inch. It wouldn't lock the bolt back when empty but had enough rearward motion to pick up the next round in the magazine. The lighter carriers run out of momentum sooner than a heavier carrier.

I LOVE my titamium carrier from precession machine.

YEP :) ...I like them well enough...I have a dozen of them to use in Firebirds.

IMHO aluminum carriers are TOO light and dont carry the kinetic energy required for dependable operation.

You can play the game and move mass to the buffer...but why?

The TI is about as light as you need to go..and still have good function

Jim