Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WIN. White Box, G17

MPK

Use to use Blazer aluminum 9 mm in my G17's. Would get a stove pipe on the last rd from time to time. once or twice every thousand rds. Switch to Winchester white box. Found it a lot dirtier but no more stove pipe's. But now I get a light primer strike from time to time. Again, once or twice every thousand rds.

The only modifcation's on the G17's is 3.5 disconector and a Wolf competition pak trigger group.

Might try blazer brass 9 mm. Anyone ever have this problem?

Mike

No. My Glock springs get replaced every 5000 rounds, max. Can't say for sure what your experiencing without seeing you and your gun shoot. The only stoppage I've seen with mine were caused by bad reloaded ammo or bad mag prep. New springs, better reloading technique and loading down a round fixed all of it.

Jim

Wonder if I might need a new firing pin. Have about 7-8,000 rds through the 1 gun.

Unlikely, unless it is chipped or broken and that would be easy to see. The one in my G34 is up to 42K rounds, with no appreciable wear.

I've shot thousands of rounds of WWB and Blazer (aluminum or brass) without a problem. If you're using the Wolff kit, make sure to clean out any debris in the firing pin channel at least every 2K rounds and anytime you have a light strike. Make sure you're not over oiling and getting lube in the channel. Change the kit out every 5 or 6K rounds and you should be GTG.

Edited by BayouSlide

One more thing to consider. Make sure your gun is going fully into battery (weak recoil spring). I've seen first hand that stove pipes can also occur when the mag springs or recoil springs are weak, throwing the timing of the ejection off.

Wolf competition pak trigger group.

This is why you are getting the light strikes. Either switch to a stock striker spring(won't help your trigger).

OR use federal ammunition.(federal primers)

Edited by dirty whiteboy

If a gun breaks a part or wears out a spring it's malfunctions are regular and obvious. 2 to 4 stoppages over the time it takes to fire 1 or 2 thousand rounds indicate something (who knows what) much more subtle. Look at things like your grip. I see many guns stop due to touching the top of a port and interrupt complete cycling. Less than a solid lock up will cause light strikes too. FWIW.

Jim

Wolf competition pak trigger group.

This is why you are getting the light strikes. Either switch to a stock striker spring(won't help your trigger).

OR use federal ammunition.(federal primers)

CCI primers are hardest, followed by Winchester (softer), then Federal (softest).

But until I began reloading, I shot WWB, Blazer and Atlanta Arms ammo, probably close to 20K rounds with the Wolff springs without any problems that couldn't be traced to a dirty firing striker channel or high round count springs. I can recall only 3 or 4 light strikes in the whole 42K rounds I've shot. The only significant light strikes I can recall offhand weren't in 9MM but one box of Blazer 40 S&W, a series of light strikes (maybe three or so in a box of 50) that disappeared when I cleaned the channel in my G27. But, as always, YMMV.

For what it's worth, I now use only Vanek trigger kits (they have Wolff stricker springs) and my own reloads with Federal primers. Actually had a light strike last weekend during practice...bet when I finally get around to cleaning my gun, I expect to find some chips or gunk in the channel.

Curtis

EDITED: because I HATE typos!

Edited by BayouSlide

I have the Wolff striker spring in my 17, I’ve only used WWB and Blazer Brass since getting the spring, and I’ve yet to have a light strike. Maybe I haven’t put enough rounds through it yet since then, ~6000, for the problem to show up. Check the channel for dirt, and also make sure you aren’t getting any contact between the striker and the safety. I’ve not personally seen it but I have heard of that causing light strikes.

Right now to clean the channel I use a Q tip and solvent. Tough to get right to the end and really clean. Any pointer's.

Thanks for all the feedback. Its much appreciated

Spray it out with non chlorinated brake cleaner. Then I use a q tip with clear rubbing alcohol to remove any brake cleaner residue.

If you use the Q-tips with the long wooden handles and you rotate it with a little pressure when you first reach resistance, you will then feel the head of the Q-tip slip into the channel liner and right up to the striker hole. Give it a few spins, then repeat with new Q-tips until you no longer have any residue. I like to blow it out with a spray of Gun Scrubber using the red straw first, then use M7Pro on the Qtips. I prefer the polymer safe Gun Scrubber (the channel liner is plastic). Besides powder residue and gunk you'll probably get a few brass chips the first go-round.

Works for me :cheers:

I had a few light strikes with WWB in my G17.The first 3 were with stock parts.Later switched to a RS trigger and had a couple more.None however in the last 10K rds or so.Chalk it up as a tradeoff for the ammo being cheap.