Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTK: Rem 1187 sights

SMSI

What is the hot set-up for sights on a Remington 1187? I am looking for something more slug friendly than a high-viz front and bead rear. I have heard a lot of good things about the X-S system. Does anybody sell barrels with sights installed?

I use the XS sights on my Remmy shotguns, both on the 1100 and the 870. Both barrels were already set for rifle sights, so it was just a matter of drift punching the front in and IIRC screwing the rear in place on the sight ramp.....

I like them for shotgun sights --- they're fast enough for shot, where I pretty much just use the front post as a bead, and precise enough for slug work out to 100 yards or so....

the sights do not come pre attached unless you find someone that had it done and wants to sell the barrel. the xs rear sight is in my opinion the easiest and best thing out there right now. that said, i still have my 10/22 rear sight on a barrel because it works and works well. the xs is just nicer because you don't have to flip it up or down its just there when you need it and you don't notice it when you don't need it.

You will have people tell you that you don't NEED a rear sight on your SG to use slugs, Technically you don't need sights on your pistol to be able to use it either.

Monte long at XS sights will fix you up if you call them.

Trapr

I prefer a true ghost ring setup - way faster with shot or slugs IMHO, and accurate enough for slugs out to 100+. They are more work to install, of course. I went with the Williams rear and a home-grown extra-tall front sight:

3-GunShotgun.jpg

GhostRing.jpg

FrontSight.jpg

SightPicture.jpg

Lots of guys will tell you that the ghost ring rear may be ok for slugs, but makes shooting shot more difficult. It clutters things up when you should just be looking down the barrel at the target. I'm not sure I totally agree with that though. I've tried a ring rear sight, and I like it, but I've settled on this from Tru Glo, at least for now:

http://www.truglo.com/content/products/fir...bead_turkey.asp

I use the version with standard front/notch rear. I also remove the fiber optic from the rear sight to make it less obtrusive, but the notch is there when I need it for slugs. You can replace the notch with a ghost ring rear sight, if you want to try that. You can get these in sets that include both sights.

BTW, I've tried the HiViz shotgun sights, and they lack the durability needed for our sport.

It is definitely not the choice of most but I love my ghost rings, the thing about mine that are different than most is that the gunsmith made a base to mount it farther back on the reciever so with both eyes open you dont even see the rear sight unless you close an eye for the long slug shot. Not cheap but I won them in a match so free for me. they do great work. Yost-Bonitz out of Mesa, Az. I was gonna link there sight but its down for some reason. some pics of my gun from prior post

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=shotgun

For me the ghost ring is the best for slugs but I don't care for the clutter when mowing down targets with shot and I HATE ghost rings when engaging flying moving targets. I did rely on a ghost ring for about six years and still have a set on a Rem 20 gauge.

I've had the 10/22 system fail me. The sight would not withstand 12 gauge recoil and kept moving impacting the elevation zero costing me a stage win at the 2007 CMMG.

IMHO the XS Express sight is THE ticket. It does not clutter up my vision and is 95% as good for slug shots as is the ghost ring. Plus it does not have any parts to move and change your zero.