Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Socks

kimel

Most of the ranges around here are covered with 3/4minus gravel. That stuff and sandals just don't mix. I can't walk across my driveway (narrow way) and not get gravel under my foot on my sandals.

And I am thinking a piece of 38 super brass between the toes isn't real pleasant either.

I'm headed to REI this weekend and I am going to spend some time and not a little money over in the sock department!

I RO in sandals. ... I often wear socks with them (yeah...looks great :wacko: ) at matches...just to keep all the dust and dirt from the range from getting between my toes.

So THAT explains the fashion statement @ Rayner's B)

Hmmm....maybe I could start a website...

Sock & Sandals for the Serious Shooter (dot com)

I RO in sandals. ... I often wear socks with them (yeah...looks great :wacko: ) at matches...just to keep all the dust and dirt from the range from getting between my toes.

So THAT explains the fashion statement @ Rayner's B)

Hmmm....maybe I could start a website...

Sock & Sandals for the Serious Shooter (dot com)

Wasn't there a guy who shot the Bianchi Cup in sandals several years ago? Didn't he place in the top 5?

Something I learned hiking with Boy Scouts: double your socks. When going for any serious kind of hiking, I wear a pair of Coolmax liner socks (akin to the pantyhose idea) underneath some hiking socks (I happen to have Cabela's Ultramax and it works fine for me, but I think this will work equally well with Smartwool). Here's why: the Coolmax wicks (of course), so your feet stay pretty dry. Then you have the best part: any moving that's going to happen inside your shoe/boot is going to happen between those socks, so it's sock-against-sock instead of skin-against-sock. Result? Minimized friction on the skin, thus minimized chance of blistering.

Having well-fitted shoes is critical, however. I've been wearing the same type of shoe for the past seven years, because they happen to fit me perfectly. In those seven years, I have hiked and backpacked over 250 miles (which isn't bad, considering that five of those years were spent at a university and doesn't count daily usage, only trail milage) and have never had a blister on my feet. The pair of boots I had before these gave me blisters without any trouble, even after being broken in, and even with the liner-plus-hiker sock system. I'm now in the market for a new pair of boots, and I'm likely going to buy the same thing as I have now, because my last trip to REI was unsuccessful, even after trying on all of their backpacking boots.

So really, while having "good" socks is helpful, in my opinion it is far less important than good shoes. A perfect shoe with a crappy (i.e. standard cotton) sock will give you less trouble than the best sock system in a crappy shoe.

Just my $0.02 or so ...

-- John.

+1 on the good fitting shoes. I spend most of my 12 hour days on my feet every day of work and a good fitting shoe for me is better than the socks. For me I have to wear New Balance shoe since they are about the only ones that fit my arch properly. My work shoes get rotated out about every 6-8 months.

Jon

I got a pair of moisture wicking type socks from the local outlet running shoe store (Aididas)

They work great in the heat.

Wore them in Hawaii while hiking in Waimea canyon and nevr got any blisters or had any problems with my feet.

They weren't too expensive either if I recall correctly.

JK

• 2 weeks later...

Well, REI finally replenished their stock of SmartWool and am I ever hooked on those! Wish they weren't so expensive. I'd chuck every other pair of socks I own and just go straight to those even for daily wear.

We hit mid-90's earlier this week and I spent a good chunk of my day on my feet walking on concrete and asphalt which was much hotter. Feet stayed cool and dry and the cushion never went flat like standard cotton socks.

I've got several pair now and will test them for durability (found some review that indicated they have durability issues) before I go all in.

Shooting a 2 day match this next weekend so they will be "match tested" there.