Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Black Grips. . ..

chunger

Hello,

Just bought a Springfield 9mm 1911-A1. . . Wife says the Cocabolo grips must go 'cause they're ugly, and well, it's her gun.

Where's a good source for ebony grips?

Black grips or other materials?

Grippy grips like SVI's scott grips?

too many search results on Google.

Thanks,

'Chung

Burner grips if you want ones like the SV Scott grip: http://www.jerrybarnhart.com/bpp.htm .

Pinnacle grips if you want 'em sized and colored like the standard SV/STI grips: http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/1911_grips/index.html .

Alumagrip grips if you want aluminum grips in black... checkered or smooth: http://www.alumagrips.com .

I have to hype Craig Spegel here. He produces beautiful 1911 grips in just about any wood you could imagine, every one handmade - and for the amount of work that goes into them, they're not as expensive as you'd think. A personal favorite is African Blackwood. At any sort of distance this stuff looks black. It's only when you get in close you realize it's actually an extremely dark brown, and you can see the swirls of black in the brown. Gorgeous stuff.

Craig Spegel

PO Box 387

Nehalem, OR 97131

(503) 368-5653

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips.

I like the Alumagrips and the "Burner" grips. ..

Ended up finding a guy on Ebay who makes wood grips. . .. Figured it's not rocket science and wood pieces that small can't cost THAT much. . . I wanted some in purpleheart as well so. . .. at $20.00 a piece, I got ebony and purpleheart :). If the smooth wood grips don't work too good, I'll opt for some burner grips I think.

What do you guys usually do in terms of wood grip finishes? Will a tung oil work?

-'Chung

Ended up finding a guy on Ebay who makes wood grips.  . .. Figured it's not rocket science and wood pieces that small can't cost THAT much. . . 

Chunger,

The wood pieces can get quite expensive. I bought some 1911 grips made from Koa (Hawaiian hardwood) at about $80 per pair. They are gorgeous! B) and still on the shelf... :huh:

Liota

Falcon Industries makes some grips that are suppose to replicate the feel of grip tape, and they are fairly inexpensive. http://www.ergogrips.net/gm.html

You might want to check with Springfield and see if they still have any of the grips that came on the operator models. They were black and had an aggressive texture to them. Similar to the Scott grips.

Hello,

I make bass guitars, and know the wood pricing. I have a bass that has a highly figured piece of kiln-dried flame koa for a body, and the piece costed me $75. . . that's 2 1/2 inches thick, 'round 7" wide and over 36" long. You can get absolutely a ton of grips out of that piece of wood. Granted, I purchased from a mill somewhere in the midwest. . . would have to look at my files to figure out which one.

Locally, in the most expensive part of the planet Northen Kalifornia, that piece might cost me upwards of $200, but still wouldn't amount to $70 per set of grips. Ebony gets a bit crazy around here 'cause it sells by the pound and that stuff is heavy, but even at $9.00 or $11.00 a pound tops, it'd still not drive the price of grips up that much.

I figured, if you have a jig or a mill set up to make grips, and that's primarily what you do, cutting them should be VERY fast, and materials go a long way for 1911 grips. Rifle stocks are a different story. The price seemed right for someone who's cranking. $20 a pop is reasonable. Upwards of $60 for non-checkered grips I think is somewhat highway robbery even for the most exotic of woods. . . ok, if you're talking genuine ivory or some other such material, that's different, and I'd never consider buying something like that personally. Would have made the grips myself had I not found them at a reasonable price. . . it just would have taken me hours and hours. I would have taken my present grips, cut 1/4" thick flat pieces of my wood of choice in the bandsaw, cleaned 'em up in a planer, put my grips on top of them in a drill press, transfered my holes, traced existing grip shape, cut 'em out on a bandsaw, cleaned 'em up on a sander, used a concave sanding block to sand the general radius on the grips (just like a guitar fretboard). . . hand file my bevels, clean 'em up w/ sanding blocks, sand the whole thing to 600 grit and put coats and coats of tung oil on them. . . .wheewwww.

I'm happy I found 'em elsewhere. . .. interested in seeing how the gun looks with the new grips :)

-'Chung