Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breech Face Erosion on Glocks

Bill Nesbitt

I was cleaning Susan's G-17 the other day and noticed quite a bit of an erosion ring on the breech face and the firing pin hole is rounded out, not as square. I checked the rest of my Glocks and they all have the same erosion ring. The severity relates directly to the round count of each gun. :unsure: Susan's G-17 probably has around 40,000 rounds or more. My old G-17 probably has around 100,000 rounds and has about the same amount of erosion. My new Gen 3 G-17 probably has 10,000 rounds and shows a little erosion. Susan's back up G-17 has a new replacement slide with maybe less than 10,000 rounds and shows a small amount of erosion. My G-19 with 3000 shows hardly any erosion.

I checked several high round count 1911 .45's and they show no erosion at all. A Hi-Power, a couple of P-9s and a CZ-75 show no erosion. A 9mm 1911 I put together from parts shows some erosion.

First question. Can anything be done to correct this or if not, when should a slide be retired?

Is this just normal wear on a Glock?

What happens if I just ignore this and keep shooting?

These Glocks have all been fed a handload of a 147 grain jacketed or plated bullet with 3.6 grains of Bullseye. The primers have been Federal small pistol for the last few years and Winchester small pistol primers before that. The load is below maximum and the power factor is 130 to 135.

I've read several pages of threads after doing a search on erosion and breech face.

Some think erosion is caused by using rifle primers in minor loads but I have only used pistol primers. At least one person said it was caused by using Federal primers.

If I have to replace Susan's G-17 it isn't a big deal. I can go to the gun shop, pick up a new one and have all the modifications needed for SSP or Production done before bedtime tonight. I love Glocks. :devil:

I have this with my Sig 229 .40 and my 1911. Hasn't been a problem. My guess is some loose primer pockets caused some gases to escape past the primer. I don't use hot loads. I'd be interested in hearing more on this as well.

I'm no expert but I don't think reamed brass is itself the problem. My problem occured on my Sig 229 with either commercial brass or reloaded brass -not reamed or swaged. Maybe a loose pocket snuck into my reloads. No idea.

That reminds me. We have used about 6000 rounds of reamed primer pocket brass from Midway. We mostly used it for lost brass matches and left it. I wonder if that means any thing?

My original G35 has some primer shaped erosion.

I accredit to low pressure rounds (not seen as often on many 1911's).

A ran a lot of SP-magnum primers in mine. (reported to be similar to SR)

I'd see about sending the slide into Glock and having them take a look at it.

I was cleaning Susan's G-17 the other day and noticed quite a bit of an erosion ring on the breech face and the firing pin hole is rounded out, not as square. I checked the rest of my Glocks and they all have the same erosion ring. The severity relates directly to the round count of each gun. :unsure: Susan's G-17 probably has around 40,000 rounds or more. My old G-17 probably has around 100,000 rounds and has about the same amount of erosion. My new Gen 3 G-17 probably has 10,000 rounds and shows a little erosion. Susan's back up G-17 has a new replacement slide with maybe less than 10,000 rounds and shows a small amount of erosion. My G-19 with 3000 shows hardly any erosion.

I checked several high round count 1911 .45's and they show no erosion at all. A Hi-Power, a couple of P-9s and a CZ-75 show no erosion. A 9mm 1911 I put together from parts shows some erosion.

First question. Can anything be done to correct this or if not, when should a slide be retired? The breech face can be welded and recut, but you need someone good to do it right.

Is this just normal wear on a Glock? Only with respect to ammunition. It can happen with any gun.

What happens if I just ignore this and keep shooting? Likely nothing. It is generally a cosmetic problem. Problems would relate to feeding, with the case catching on the eroded area as it tried to align as feeding into the chamber.

These Glocks have all been fed a handload of a 147 grain jacketed or plated bullet with 3.6 grains of Bullseye. The primers have been Federal small pistol for the last few years and Winchester small pistol primers before that. The load is below maximum and the power factor is 130 to 135.

I've read several pages of threads after doing a search on erosion and breech face.

Some think erosion is caused by using rifle primers in minor loads but I have only used pistol primers. At least one person said it was caused by using Federal primers.

If I have to replace Susan's G-17 it isn't a big deal. I can go to the gun shop, pick up a new one and have all the modifications needed for SSP or Production done before bedtime tonight. I love Glocks. :devil:

First question. Can anything be done to correct this or if not, when should a slide be retired? The breech face can be welded and recut, but you need someone good to do it right.

Is this just normal wear on a Glock? Only with respect to ammunition. It can happen with any gun.

What happens if I just ignore this and keep shooting? Likely nothing. It is generally a cosmetic problem. Problems would relate to feeding, with the case catching on the eroded area as it tried to align as feeding into the chamber.

I added a reply and thought i deleted the rest. Got it backwards. Anyway, what I said was, I have a Colt series 70 .45acp that has about 275,000 rd through it. It was fed a diet of cast bullets at whatever USPSA major was. It has no breech face erosion. My 9x23 Para Ordnance with a Caspian slide has 75,000 rd of USPSA major with no erosion. In the 9x23 I use Winchester small rifle primers. Not helpful, but feedback.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne

This happens naturally through use, and although I have never encountered significant breach face damage, I have seen pictures of Glocks that have.

If you have concerns about it, call Glock. There customer service is top notch, and they WILL take care of you.

Take a pic of the breach face and post it up here. We have plenty of Glock shooters that can tell you if you need to have it sent back or not.

Bill, it doesn't look bad, but I would still give Glock a call and see what they can do for you. More often than not, they will have you mail your slide in, and either fix it or replace it. Since the "gun" part of a Glock is the receiver, you shouldn't need to overnight it or go through an FFL. YMMV, and again, I'd double check with Glock.

I think the answers and the causes have been posted. I think it is ammo related and has nothing to do with Glocks. If I had my guess it would be either loose primer pockets and/or hot loads with high pressure. I'm leaning towared loose pockets as I have only two guns that have a similar problem... my 1911 and Sig 229. The 1911 never sees hot loads.. but I'm sure I've reloaded with some substandard cases. As a matter of fact... I distinctly remember seeing some R&P .45 brass that had black marks around the primer.... I tossed them