Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas Pump Etiquette

G-ManBart

I have a friend that own's a small gas station franchise. He is limited to $.08 mark up/profit per gallion of gas.

So on a purchase of 22 gallons of gas at $4.00 per gallon he makes $1.76, now figure in the credit card fee for that purchase (22gal @ 4.00= 88.00 x 3%) of $2.64 he has lost $.88 on that transaction. This will only get worse as gas goes up in price. We will be seeing more and more small gas stations closing or stop accepting credit cards.

Even at 2% cc fees, they are breaking even on the sale, but it takes electricity, and labor to run a gas station, so it's still a loss.

Credit card companies do not usually allow merchants to do this. It is built into their contracts.

Ben, feel free to click on the links I provided. I am not making this stuff up. Only Mastercard seems to have a cap on their fees for any gas sales over $50. So if a consumer only puts $20 or $30 in their tank the station still loses.

Thats not what I was talking about. I am talking about charging customers a credit card usage fee directly(or discounting people who pay cash).

It's about 11AM and I stop to fill up at a local convenience store that has 16 pumps. Every single pump has a car using it, okay, no biggie. I pull behind a car that's been there a while, the guy finishes, takes his receipt out of the pump and then proceeds to lock his car and walk into the store. WTF? The place is packed, I'm ten feet behind him and he just acts like everyone in the world has all day and he's more important than everyone else. So, I look around and see that at least five or six other pumps are occupied by cars with no drivers present. The guy on the other side of my bozo's car comes slowly walking out of the store, gets in, talks to his dogs in the back seat, opens his bag and starts pulling lunch out and I'm ready to send hot lead in his direction (since the dogs were there and looked like nice pooches I maintained my composure)....all while cars are waiting for these A-holes to move on.

WTF is wrong with people? If half the pumps were open I can see locking the car and running in to grab something since nobody would be forced to wait, but this was different. In fact, some of the same cars were still parked there after I pumped my gas, parked by the store, ordered a sandwhich, paid and came back outside. I just can't stand how people think the world revolves around them and they simply don't give a damn about anybody but themselves. It's like the people that run the red turn arrows and force four lines of traffic to wait for them....no, no, you're obviously more important than the rest of us, so you go right ahead and do whatever you feel like. :angry:

What really pisses me off is when there is only one diesle station and some jacknut decides to use one of the unleaded pumps there. I guess having a little common curtousy is a thing of the past among most people. Very unfortunate. <_<

Adios,

TG

I got to add that around here even when you pay with a credit card they cut the dang pump off at $75 then you have to go through the entire process again just to fill up the tank.......I can understand with cash but with a credit card it shouldn't matter how much you want to pump........

I understand exactly what you are saying. i thought it was only truck drivers that would do that. Those that do this whatever their job is a person of questionable breeding.

Kevin

I got to add that around here even when you pay with a credit card they cut the dang pump off at $75 then you have to go through the entire process again just to fill up the tank.......I can understand with cash but with a credit card it shouldn't matter how much you want to pump........

Something like this happened to me on Thursday. Was at the local WaWa to get gas. Gave the attendant my CC (I'm in NJ, so we can't pump our own, it is illegal). She said, "the cc machine says that you can get $75 on it. You only want X amount?" I guess the gas station (or my CC company) was putting an upper limit on how much money I could spend at the gas pump. Either it was WaWa doing it for some reason, or the CC company trying to cut down on the use of stolen credit cards. That was the first time that has happened.

Filled my truck tonight, had to back in to the one diesel pump on the car side of the station and stretch the hose to the limit to get it in. Pump won't turn on, piss and moan for a minute and go inside, she already knows what pump I want on when I get to the front of the line. Have to leave a credit card to get the pump turned on because the diesel pump is the ONLY one on the car side that you can't use a card on!!!!. Get the pump turned on, put $116.44 cents in the tank, and had almost 10 gallons left when I pulled in. Go inside and wait in line behind 5 more people that need to pre-pay or pay, pay for my fuel and leave. Absolutely the LAST time I will use that truck stop. I have to use the car side for diesel or they charge me 5 cents more per gallon to pay with a credit card on the truck side, and the car side is ALL pre-pay or pay at the pump. I had to leave my truck at the pump TWICE for a total of about 10 minutes, and there wasn't an open pump in the station at the time. I felt terrible about it. Plus, I have to block off a gas pump to get diesel, so my truck occupies TWO spots. Pull off the pump to park before you pay and the cops will meet you at the door, trust me. Around here if they see a vehicle even MOVE without payment of the fuel prior and they call the cops INSTANTLY. All in all it was a really poor experience that is repeated more and more. I tried this truck stop because my normal stop went to all pre-pay or pay at the pump too.

Time to get a 200 gallon aux tank, that would give me a 4500-5000 mile range between fill ups. Once a month would make the whole gas station torture BS a lot more tolerable........

Filled my truck tonight, had to back in to the one diesel pump on the car side of the station and stretch the hose to the limit to get it in. Pump won't turn on, piss and moan for a minute and go inside, she already knows what pump I want on when I get to the front of the line. Have to leave a credit card to get the pump turned on because the diesel pump is the ONLY one on the car side that you can't use a card on!!!!. Get the pump turned on, put $116.44 cents in the tank, and had almost 10 gallons left when I pulled in. Go inside and wait in line behind 5 more people that need to pre-pay or pay, pay for my fuel and leave. Absolutely the LAST time I will use that truck stop. I have to use the car side for diesel or they charge me 5 cents more per gallon to pay with a credit card on the truck side, and the car side is ALL pre-pay or pay at the pump. I had to leave my truck at the pump TWICE for a total of about 10 minutes, and there wasn't an open pump in the station at the time. I felt terrible about it. Plus, I have to block off a gas pump to get diesel, so my truck occupies TWO spots. Pull off the pump to park before you pay and the cops will meet you at the door, trust me. Around here if they see a vehicle even MOVE without payment of the fuel prior and they call the cops INSTANTLY. All in all it was a really poor experience that is repeated more and more. I tried this truck stop because my normal stop went to all pre-pay or pay at the pump too.

Time to get a 200 gallon aux tank, that would give me a 4500-5000 mile range between fill ups. Once a month would make the whole gas station torture BS a lot more tolerable........

The only problem with the aux. tank is that it would take you a day to get filled up because they shut the pump off at $75!!! :blink:

Adios,

TG

It's about 11AM and I stop to fill up at a local convenience store that has 16 pumps. Every single pump has a car using it, okay, no biggie. I pull behind a car that's been there a while, the guy finishes, takes his receipt out of the pump and then proceeds to lock his car and walk into the store. WTF? The place is packed, I'm ten feet behind him and he just acts like everyone in the world has all day and he's more important than everyone else.

Don't you just love them? I just ran into his twin sister..... at the stupid 7-11 station, it doesn't take credit cards so you have to line up TWICE: once to give the dumb frick the money and again to get your change. I am standing in line the second time for my change, as eight bozos in front buy lotto tickets, beer, chili dogs... Oh, I have to have CHEESE on that chili dog.... and I need a Slurpee...... and as I am standing eight deep in this line a Chinese lady walks right in oblivious to the line straight to the front and hands the cashier money and says:

$40 on pump #4.....

and waks out.

Don't mind us... we're just the unimportant masses you don't need to concern yourself with.

walks right in oblivious to the line straight to the front and hands the cashier money and says: $40 on pump #4.....

And, sadly, it's everywhere. I was in the cafeteria at work the other day, standing around waiting for a colleague to show up for a lunch meeting. Saw some guy walk up to a microwave that was busy cooking someone's lunch, opened it up, took the food out, put his own in, and pressed the button.

Sheesh. Does *nobody* understand the concept of "waiting your turn", anymore?

:unsure:

I am standing in line the second time for my change, as eight bozos in front buy lotto tickets, beer, chili dogs... Oh, I have to have CHEESE on that chili dog.... and I need a Slurpee.

...only in the NoVa / DC / MD area it would be "let me get two packs of Newports, 5 scratch offs, 3 pick threes, and a megamillions"