Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mec gar mag legal in production?

ammowaster

Try a search in the rules section. We covered this one before. Let me know if you can't find it.

I was still a little confused. When I read the rules all I saw was

5.5.1 Magazines and speed loading devices must comply with the provisions

of the relevant Division.

When I started searching on here I saw this

From the current rulebook:

US Appendix D9

8 Maximum magazine length No

9 Maximum ammunition capacity Yes, 10 rounds

loaded maximum in

any magazine after

the start signal.

-JPL

Took that to mean that as long as the gun still fit in the box with mag loaded it was good as long as I only load ten rounds

Then this

The magazines can be aftermarket, but they must be the same dimensions as the specific magazine for that gun.

Doesnt say where he got it so I couldnt look it up

If you can point me towards the right place in the rulebook that would be great

Not looking for a free lunch just some guidance

Edited by ammowaster

The magazines can be aftermarket, but they must be the same dimensions as the specific magazine for that gun.

He may be refering to IPSC rules. They are 'slightly' <_< different than USPSA rules.

Yes, you can use them as long as they fit in the box.

He may be refering to IPSC rules. They are 'slightly' <_< different than USPSA rules.

Yes, you can use them as long as they fit in the box.

gary stevens was stating a nroi ruling effective 09/04/07. i don't see a specific rule in the 2008 book stating the same thing. since it wasn't written into the latest rules does this mean the nroi ruling is no longer valid? (i tried/did a search flex and there aren't any posts after the 2008 book came out. :unsure: )

Edited by dr2e

Make sure you test them even if they are legal, The extra capacity followers in the Mec Gar 17 rounders like to fold over and jam, I ended up using Beretta aluminum followers dropping capacity back down to 15 but they work.

So they are good as long as they fit in the box?

Everybody in agreement? Flex

Joe4d

I will test them out for sure. I got them instead of sig mags mainly because they are cheaper but the added capacity will be nice for a few other things like pins, steel, and the occasional bunny

NROI Rulings

Title: Aftermarket magazines in Production Division

Created: 8/22/07

Updated: 9/04/07

Effective: 9/04/07

Rule number: US Appendix D9 i

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling authority: John Amidon

Question

Can I use any after market magazine in my gun for Production? Also, may I grind off part of the base pad on my S&W M&P?

Ruling

After market magazines are allowed in Production, as long as they are dimensionally the same as the original magazine for that model gun? In other words, you may not use a Glock 33 round mag in an approved Glock gun, regardless of only loading 10 rounds in it. Grinding on the magazine base pad, would be an external modification and not allowed, the magazine when inserted, is a functioning part of the gun and the base pad is external.

7 Maximum size Handgun and all magazines (revolvers are exempt)

- Yes, handgun with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”, -0”) (8.938”x6”x1.625”) (227.01mmx152.40mmx41.28mm)

8 Maximum magazine length

- See # 7

Doesen't mec gar actually make alot/most of the sig factory mags? I know they make alot of companies oem mags for them and have been told they do most of Sigs mags for them

They do. Some of them are identical to the aftermarket ones they sell - I can only tell the aftermarket Mec-Gars from the factory ones for my CZ-75Bs by the "Mec-Gar" stamped on them - and some are considerably different, like for Berettas and SIGs.