Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thanks to kurtm!

BrianS

I'm completely new to 3-Gun having only shot one match last month. During the match I suffered problems with my Benelli M2 SP cycling with the same ammo I tested in it that worked fine before the match, and came here looking for help.

After reading all the Benelli M2 posts I could find here I sent an email to Kurt, and he gave me some things to try to see if I could get it running. Turns out the problem was the Mesa Tactical 8-shot shell holder I put on the gun. Apparently the weight of the saddle full of 8 shells was prohibiting the weapon from cycling properly. The gun wouldn't even cycle high brass loads with the side saddle on and loaded up. Thanks to Kurt's tips the first thing I did was pull the saddle off and it runs like a sewing machine with 3 Dram target loads.

Thanks again Kurt! You saved me a bunch of heart/head aches & I'm sure some $$$$ too! I'm all set for my next match at the end of June now!! :cheers:

Edited by BrianS

If it won't run w/ a side saddle w/ 9 rds in it, you have bigger problems. ALL of the ones that leave my shop will.

+1 there. Benny make M2s that can accomodate 9 rounds in a saddle, 4 on the other side and 9 rounds in the gun (22 rounds). Mine runs without hiccups with Federal 2.75 inch, 3 dram shells.

IMO - It's not the side saddle...It's the TYPE of sidesaddle. Use Mark Otto's product or similar and it will work flawlessly on an M2. The side-mounted shell carrier mounting system that uses fasteners that go through the gun can be problematic. Use a mounting system that attachés to the gun with Velcro.

It's probably not the side saddle it self (I've got a 9 Otto on mine, no problem) but

it's the screws that mount it. Going through the reciever, if you overtighten them the

aluminum reciever gets squeezed causing the bolt to bind !!

I hear you Benny, but I'll be lucky if I get to shoot 4 MultiGun matches total this year so putting another $$$ into a brand new shotgun just to get it run with a side saddle on it isn't worth it too me at this point.

If it runs with Federal 3 Dram loads (I've put 75 of those through it without a hiccup since the side saddle came off) I'm happy. I've got an 8 shell forearm holder, and 4 6x tactical strippers to reload from so I'll be OK for my local matches. It's not like I'm going to be winning any of those matches regardless.. :D

Edited by BrianS

The problem is the side saddle that fastens through the reciever. Buy a $25 velcro side saddle and you will good to go.

I hear you Benny, but I'll be lucky if I get to shoot 4 MultiGun matches total this year so putting another $800 into a brand new shotgun just to get it run with a side saddle on it isn't worth it too me.

If it runs with Federal 3 Dram loads (I've put 75 of those through it without a hiccup since the side saddle came off) I'm happy. I've got an 8 shell forearm holder, and 4 6x tactical strippers to reload from so I'll be OK for my local matches. It's not like I'm going to be winning any of those matches regardless.. :D

The problem is the side saddle that fastens through the receiver. Buy a $25 velcro side saddle and you will good to go.

The Mesa Tactical SureShell holders for the Benelli M2 attach to the receiver via the factory drilled & tapped holes in the top of the receiver where a picatinny rail for a scope would be mounted. They don't go through the receiver like on a Rem 1100 for example. The screws don't squeeze the receiver nor do they touch anything inside the receiver.

I'm certainly no gunsmith, but it appears to me from the fix that worked that it was the extra weight on the receiver that hampered the inertia driven mechanism from doing it's job. I could be totally wrong, but all I know is it wouldn't cycle high brass with the side saddle on and loaded with shells & it runs target loads like they are going out of style with it off. I realize the stuff Benny does to them takes care of this, but then again for an additional $$$ I can reload it off a forearm shell holder all day long!! Right now all I care about is it runs low brass shells, and goes bang/cycles when I pull the trigger. Kurt got me there, so I'm a happy camper.. :D

Just so you all know I did contact Benny about working on this gun, and he's already informed that I should dump it and buy the 21" Benelli M2 Field instead - then send it him to make it work. Too bad for me I didn't know that before I bought it and I may do that after the season, but for now I'm just worried about getting this one to run for my remaining three local matches & I think I'm there now.

Photo from mesatactical.com:

71.jpg

Edited by BrianS

Ohhhh, you've got a tactical !!! :surprise:

There's your problem !!! :P

Here's what I've been able to gather, pistol grip can cause you to get too good of a grip

on it preventing the gun from moving at all with light loads, causing jams ..

Also the tac model is supposed to have a extra heavy tactical inertia spring, if you replace

it with a field model spring all will be well ???? :unsure:

Thats what I've seen anyway .... and heard :lol:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...=INERTIA+SPRING

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Ohhhh, you've got a tactical !!! :surprise:

There's your problem !!! :P

Here's what I've been able to gather, pistol grip can cause you to get too good of a grip

on it preventing the gun from moving at all with light loads, causing jams ..

Also the tac model is supposed to have a extra heavy tactical inertia spring, if you replace

it with a field model spring all will be well ???? :unsure:

Thats what I've seen anyway .... and heard :lol:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...=INERTIA+SPRING

I sold my old HK/Benelli M1. But when I got it who ever had didn't ever give it an TLC. The recoil spring was rusted in the tube. I had a gunsmith clean the tube out and install a Wolff reduced power recoil spring. Even after that it would sometimes choke on weaker shells. Later I replaced the inertia spring with one from a Benelli Montefeltro from Brownells. Then it worked like a champ even with a 8 shot 3gungear side saddle.

The Montefeltro spring is part number 88 and is cheap (under $7) here http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/schematic...90+Montefeltro+

The reduced recoil/inertia springs is something I might try. Are there any issues when running slugs with that setup?

I only shot 2-3/4" reduced power slugs and it ran fine like that. For full power 3" slugs I would recommend against using with the Montefeltro spring and reduced power Wolff recoil spring.

Order a "standard" recoil spring from brownell's from the benelli section & put it in & it will help cycle it better. Right now you have the " heavy" one for full power loads, good luck.

Thanks Benny!