Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Trijicon Accupoint Reticle for 3 Gun?

HPD SRT

I am planning on getting one of these in the next couple days. I like all of them and have looked through the Red Triangle one before. But I have never used them in 3 Gun or shot with them at all for that matter. So my question is, which of these reticles is the best for close and far targets, super fast target aquisition and the fastest for picking up the reticle?

ACFFFAD.jpg

ACFFFB5.jpg

Or their newest one the German #4 Crosshair and Amber Dot

German4.jpg

The best one is the one that you like and works for you.

I agree. I like the Red triangle. As that is the only one I have looked through in person. But I just wanted other opinions and explanations to why they chose the one they did. If I had the money I would buy all three and put them through a rigorous testing period. Finding out which was the fastest in all areas.

I kinda got lucky when I was looking at a TA-11. My open gun AR took a dump on me so I had to borrow a friend's AR with a TA-11. I got it use it at a three gun match. I beat his scores with his rifle.

Point being take your time and try them out if you can. I'm glad I did. I can't think of a single 3 gun shooter (or USPSA shooter) that wouldn't let you try their toy.

The rectangle sucks past 325 yards using a ~50/~200 yard zero.

I got rid of my TR21 (with a red triangle) because of this. I'd bet you that this is the primary reason that people move on to another scope.

I would say that the German #4 would be better at long range. But the triangle might be slightly better(faster) at closer distances.

Put it this way, Taran Butler uses the Triangle reticle (not sure which color) and kills everything with it regardless of how far away it is. I know he adjusts his zero for long targets instead of holding over/under for each stage.

Personally I would go with the triangle also since I don't like the crosshairs. Less stuff cluttering up the view. The triangle is very bright on the Accupoints regardless of which color so you may find yourself dialing down the brightness to get a nice sharp edge on the triangle.

I like the red triangle but I'm not much of a rifle shooter. Chris is right though, if ithe target is a long way away you'll want to dial down the fiber optic to almost nothing otherwise the triangle is fuzzy. Up close let it burn away and its like a big red dot. Much birghter and easier to pick up than any of the illuminated reticle scopes I've seen.

I'm preferring the red because the amber washes out in the desert with lots of sun. But than, that's just me.

The Accupoint works just fine at all 3-Gun ranges, IMO. Know your rifle, know your scope, know how to shoot. Especially know how to shoot.

I'm preferring the red because the amber washes out in the desert with lots of sun. But than, that's just me.

The Accupoint works just fine at all 3-Gun ranges, IMO. Know your rifle, know your scope, know how to shoot. Especially know how to shoot.

I don't think it is just you I had a hard time with the amber on the cardboard targets. It was just oo close to the same color. I am loving my red one now.

The triangle is very bright on the Accupoints regardless of which color so you may find yourself dialing down the brightness to get a nice sharp edge on the triangle.

Yes I have watched Taran tear it up. I didn't know you could "dial down" the fiber optic's or the Accupoint for that matter.... I just bought one minutes ago so I should be getting it within the week. I guess I can play with it then.

So Taran actually adjusts his zero (I'm guessing only elevation) in the middle of a match? And doesn't just aim an inch or two high? That is kind of weird..... What is the drop at 300 or 400 yards anyway? I haven't been much of a long distance shooter myself. So I am not versed on it.

The triangle is very bright on the Accupoints regardless of which color so you may find yourself dialing down the brightness to get a nice sharp edge on the triangle.

Yes I have watched Taran tear it up. I didn't know you could "dial down" the fiber optic's or the Accupoint for that matter.... I just bought one minutes ago so I should be getting it within the week. I guess I can play with it then.

So Taran actually adjusts his zero (I'm guessing only elevation) in the middle of a match? And doesn't just aim an inch or two high? That is kind of weird..... What is the drop at 300 or 400 yards anyway? I haven't been much of a long distance shooter myself. So I am not versed on it.

There is a cover that rotates over the fiber optic to dim the reticle.

The adjustment dials are like target turrets that you can dial back to zero after sighting in. They are graduated so you can just dial up or down in 1/4" clicks.

The red triangle reticle works great for me. Full bright for quick BAC hosing and dial in less illumination for long precise shots.

I adjust my zero for targets past 300 yards & use a normal 250 yard zero. The elevation adjustment is repetable and precise so its easy once you have your loads verified.

Helps with the triangle to teach yourself to hold under targets at mid range vs over for long range as the triangle covers alot of target at 300+.

There are better/nicer scopes but at way higher price ranges. although several new scopes show promise.

The new German #4 is a huge disapointment to me as I was hoping for a better one. The side bars are huge, bigger than a normal G4 and the dot isnt big enough or bright enough for BAC to work on this reticle for me.

I tried both the amber and red triangle and, like others have mentioned the amber washes out on brown paper. I found the red to be a better choice for our sport. I did not however care for the 1.25 setting. I find a true 1 power to be less distracting, and wider field of view important enough to be worth looking at other choices.