Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting a wheelgun will show.......

So I shot a match this weekend with my buddies at Texarkana-- when all was said and done, Odie was nice enough to let me shoot his wheelie for a few rounds. Thanks again Odie, by the way! Believe it or not, I can't recall ever shooting a wheelie before this...........

Observations: Man, that wheelie was kinda fun, in a masochistic kind of way. :P

Second, you find out that you are a trigger slapper in a hurry. I get away with it on my Open gun, but I sure could tell it on the wheelie. You HAVE to have good trigger discipline to hit anything, and I think I've been getting sloppy.

I'm almost half tempted to buy me one of those contraptions and shoot it for a bit-- good stuff.

Anyway, mainly me rambling to myself, but I figured I'd share.

-Mike

Yeah, I've definitely noticed the same thing. The last match I shot last year, I used my Model 14 with minor .38spl loads and speedloaders just for S&Gs, and after that I was hooked! By the time shooting season was back on, I had a 625 and I was good to go. Now, every time I pick up an auto I'm surprised by how well I shoot it without seeming to try too hard.

It's been so effective a tool for me and I enjoy it so much that I've committed to only shooting revolvers in competition for at least a year. I shoot the 625 in USPSA, the 625 and the 14 for steel, and I've shot a 3-inch Model 64 in an IDPA match. That's a big deal for me, as I've always been thinking about a different gun while shooting the gun I have. Not so any more. I'm having a great time and improving faster than I ever have before!

• 2 weeks later...
Revolvers are the best trigger control training tool you can get but very few take advantage of them for training.

I agree. Try shooting revolver only for one entire season. by the end of the season, you WILL have a different mindset as far as shooting a stage. When to reload, where to reload, , and making each shot count become paramount.

Then, just for a hoot, get a widebody the next season and shoot in Limited. WOW! What a blast, pun intended. Just like school let out. No more reloading every six rounds. Yay!

Or, go back to your single stack, L-10, or production gun. The habit of making each shot count will stay with you for some time.

John

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think if I could find a match any where close to here, I'd shoot it with a revolver. Not that I shoot a revolver any better then an auto but I think its more fun to shoot.

When I retired My Dept let me keep my service revolver (they figured retired people didnt need a watch). So I'd have to shoot with my service revolver (Model 28 Smith) using duty gear. Just for old time sake.