Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Open

McDaddy

I just bought an older open class para in 38. super. The comp has two ports on top, and two small ports on the side. Does anyone have any recommendations for a starting load ? I don't know if I should start with a heavy bullet or not with the new lower power factor. I am new to the super, but have heard that people usually use a small rifle primer. Is this accurate? Thanks in advance.

McDaddy, as someone here once posted "handloads are like underwear, be careful who you share them with" Just remember each gun is different, so start low and slowly work your way up. Crimp, OAL, and powder all make a difference.

I'd start with a 124-gr bullet 'cause you get a touch more leeway there before things go bad. You'll be trying anything and everything before long anyway.

Also pop on over to Jeff Maass site (http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/) -- he's got tons of 'real-world' data there. Note that it may be wildly inaccurate and/or overpressure in your gun (especially if it doesn't have a ramped barrel), but that's what chronos are for and it'll give you a good idea what some of the popular ending loads are (start lower)

To start, buy some 124 grain 9mm bullets, small rifle primers, and Vihtavuori Oy N350. Get a chronograph. Compare the maximum load in the Viht. pamphlet/web site with what people actually use as per Jeff Maas' list. Start low and work your way up to 165-170 power factor.

I pretty much second what Erik Warren said. Start with 125s. 115s are a little fussier about what powders can make major and keep the pressures reasonable.

I'd add IMR 4756 as an alternate to VV N350 in case you live someplace where VV powders are scarce (and don't want to pay obscene shipping fees). I have used IMR 7625 and it's soft shooting and clean but a little lacking in gas to make the comp work well - the recoil feels soft but the gun flips a bit more. If you're new to open though, you probably won't notice it.

Titegroup works really well for MINOR super loads. Try about 5 gr under a 115gr bullet for ~135 PF. But for Major, find something slower burning. While it might be technically possible, you'll be way over pressure and still probably won't have enough gas to work the comp well. The IPSC Loads List has a bunch of different loads and powders. Surely you can find AA#7 or PowerPistol or HS-7 locally.

Agree - if you can't find V V, select a powder at the SLOW end of the scale (I use V V N105, which is often used for .357Mag loads - slow!). Even the archaic Blue Dot would be better/safer than one of the faster powders like Titegroup in Major 38 Super. I agree that Jeff Maas' website is the place to start - take it w/ you to the gunstore & see what powders on the list for 124s are sold near you. I usually load to 1.260" OAL in my SV; find out what OAL your gun likes from its previous owner and adjust loads downward accordingly. CAUTION!!!! READ THE NOTES ON JEFF'S SITE RE: HYBRID HOLES!! Some loads that are safe in a gun w/ hybrid holes may be too much for an older gun that has no hybrid holes - Jeff's notes will tell you which load is for which type of barrel. Again, start out on the low side & work up w/ a slow powder.