Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grip Crack?

SteveZ

So over the weekend I had something strange happen. On the start signal, I drew and my magazine fell out of my gun. I don't know if I didn't get it seated all the way (I was called to the line in a hurry when the shooter before me wasn't ready...and I wasn't really ready either but shot anyways)...or if I somehow bumped the mag release on the draw (which had you opening a door your weak hand).

I've heard stories about cracked grips around the mag release and while cleaning my gun, decided to take a closer look at the grip and saw on both sides of the grip a small hairline....I don't know if its a crack or if its a mold mark.

Attached is a picture of the suspected crack. Can anyone tell me if cracks happen in this area of the grip...or are those mold lines in the grip?

post-1933-1211914193.jpg

So over the weekend I had something strange happen. On the start signal, I drew and my magazine fell out of my gun. I don't know if I didn't get it seated all the way (I was called to the line in a hurry when the shooter before me wasn't ready...and I wasn't really ready either but shot anyways)...or if I somehow bumped the mag release on the draw (which had you opening a door your weak hand).

I've heard stories about cracked grips around the mag release and while cleaning my gun, decided to take a closer look at the grip and saw on both sides of the grip a small hairline....I don't know if its a crack or if its a mold mark.

Attached is a picture of the suspected crack. Can anyone tell me if cracks happen in this area of the grip...or are those mold lines in the grip?

The cracks usually go from the top of the mag catch hole up to the frame on both sides. It is from improper disassembly of the grip. I have broke 3 over the years. Your pic doesnt seem like a crack or a place where they have been known to crack.

It's called a "weld line." It's formed by the plastic having to flow around a piece of metal in order to create a hole. It's nearly always the weakest part of any plastic part with holes in it. It's compounded by the fact that the S_I grip is glass-filled, which makes the plastic tougher to push. Sometimes there's a weak bond and it cracks with use. Sometimes, the plastic is so cold by the time it rejoins that it's never bonded at all. Usually it's never a problem.

Every S_I has a weld line in this area. I do recall a few forum reports of cracked grips in that area over the years. I don't see signs of separation from the photograph, but I'm not saying it isn't either. If the mysterious mag dropping issue continues, I'd send the grip back to S_I and let them replace it.

Edited by EricW

When it cracks it will usually be on the RIGHT side, going more or less up from the catch hole like Chuck said. Using wicked tight magazines and jamming them to get them seated in the gun will also break the grips and it doesn't take long.

I've seen thousands of grips since we started working on them... not seen a crack in that spot on any. Cracked grips will cause no end to the types of troubles you might have... but falling magazines would not be high on the list of issues. I would gladly have a look at yours (and enhance it while it's here) but I think you will find your problem is with something else.

I've seen thousands of grips since we started working on them... not seen a crack in that spot on any. Cracked grips will cause no end to the types of troubles you might have... but falling magazines would not be high on the list of issues. I would gladly have a look at yours (and enhance it while it's here) but I think you will find your problem is with something else.

Can I blame it on sunspots? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the input.....glad to hear its not a crack. To be honest, I've never looked at my grips this close before in the past and this was the only mark that looked suspicious. I probably didn't get the mag seated all the way or something ( I did make a note of which mag it is). I'll test it in practice...and if it works fine there, I'll write it off to shooter error.

You should take your slide off and insert an empty mag in. Look down through the top at the mag catch. See how much engagement there is. I had to drop two mags on two separate stages before I looked. Funny thing is the grip worked fine with the STI catch but would drop the mag with an Ed Brown and a SV catch. The STI catches I have are thicker where it goes into the mag slot. Look at the right side to make sure the catch is going in all the way.