Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open sight gun unloaded on table…

badchad

A friend showed me a technique he uses on his open gun. If you have a light recoil spring, you can grab the slide just aft of the comp on the bottom side of the slide, pull it all the way back and let go. Your support hand is almost in the grip position! Very fast. The trick is to practice enough so you don't grab the slide too far back and short stroke the gun.

Later,

Chuck

Best as in safest

Any way that keeps your body parts away from the front of the muzzle

fastest

Practice will make any way fast

most reliable.

Practice racking the slide all the way back and letting go of the slide

There are two ways to rack the slide that can be used on all guns:

1. with the right hand on the grip, grab the slide with the left hand with the thumb on the right side of the slide (for right hand shooters) and pull back all the way and let go. I guess this would be the sling shot approach mentioned earlier.

2. with the right hand on the grip, wrap your left hand around the back of slide so that your thumb is on the left side of the slide and pointing towards you and pull all the way back and let go.

I don't recommend the grabbing the slide from underneath because it is the least reliable and the least safest of the three - IMO. With practice, either of the two methods can be fast.

I don't recommend the grabbing the slide from underneath because it is the least reliable and the least safest of the three

I am not sure how unsafe this is since if you fail to rack the slide, you have an empty gun in your hands :rolleyes: but you have an excellent point about reliability. It takes practice to do it smoothly! Try everyone's suggestions in dry fire with safety first, reliability second and speed third. Then go buy a slide racker...

Later,

Chuck

I don't recommend the grabbing the slide from underneath because it is the least reliable and the least safest of the three

I am not sure how unsafe this is since if you fail to rack the slide, you have an empty gun in your hands :rolleyes: but you have an excellent point about reliability. It takes practice to do it smoothly! Try everyone's suggestions in dry fire with safety first, reliability second and speed third. Then go buy a slide racker...

Later,

Chuck

I suspect one of Bob's concerns vis-a-vis safety was hand in front of muzzle = match DQ.....

....sometimes we have to worry about finishing the match, even though there may not be any real threat to physical safety....

Later,

Chuck

I suspect one of Bob's concerns vis-a-vis safety was hand in front of muzzle = match DQ.....

....sometimes we have to worry about finishing the match, even though there may not be any real threat to physical safety....

Good point! When I switched to open after years in Ltd/L-10 I really had to make an effort to keep my hand away from the hybrid holes! Like using the front serrations over the top to ULASC to the RO.

Thanks,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

I'll grab the front serrations from above - basically wrap my thumb over the top of the slide, grip it and pull. By far the most reliable for me. Maybe not the safest, as it puts your digits closest to the muzzle, but I have yet to sweep my fingers - or even come close.

Pinching the back of the slide is too awkward to do quickly for me.

Depends on the gun, some will be better to slingshot and some will be better to use the front of the gun. It all boils down to where you can get traction. I don't think there is .2 seconds between any of the methods when you have it burned in. Grabbing somewhere you don't have enough traction to complete the load is going to cost you a lot more than that.

Slingshot, most approximates the guns action.

+1, also works if you accidently run the gun dry and/or the slide stop doesn't engage. One technique and KISS! I need to keep things as simple as possible.