Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW U-die on 650 toolhead

I just scored a used 650, which I'm very stoked about. I'm loading 40S&W first. My old set-up was to run my brass through the EGW die on my Lee single stage, then reload using my SDB. So now I should be a LOT faster. But when I put the U-die in station 1, and screwed it down until it touched the shell plate, I ran out of threads on the top for the locking nut. Backed it off just a bit so I could engage the locking nut, but now I'm not sizing all the way down (which is sort of the point).

Any reason I shouldn't/can't put the locking nut UNDER the tool head? There's plenty of thread exposed there, and it seems like it would clear.

Thanks,

Mitch

p.s. I think next time I run the machine, I'm putting the Dillon die in 1, U-die and 2, and move powder to 3 as suggested in some other threads.

I'm using the Dillon locking ring on the EGW die. Doing it this way I was able to get the lock ring on top.

Trodrig

Thanks for the suggestion! I had contemplated that, but I'm gonna use the Dillon die in station 1 - but it occurs to me I could use the locking ring off the crimp die I'm not using!

Mitch,

I use that technique with a Lee FCD on one of my 650 toolheads. Works fine...

Later,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! I'll give a try as my FCD is also near the end of it's threads.

~Mitch