Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ultrasonic cleaning of brass and lead contamination?

Folks:

I was fascinated by an article on ultrasonic cleaning of brass:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Recent posts on reloading forums have described the health hazards of exposure to lead styphnate from primers that remains in the cleaning media of vibratory cleaners.

Since the dust and contaminants would be in suspension or solution in the ultrasonic cleaner tank liquid, I am guessing the health concerns are greatly diminished.

Can anyone support this hypothesis?

Secondly, Harbor Freight has a 2.5 L ultrasonic cleaner for $78 (including shipping). Anyone with experience with this device?

Thank you,

David

I tried some 243Win brass in a little ultrasonic cleaner I bought off ebay a number of years ago. The main problems was as mentioned above - I could only clean a little at a time. Lead reside/dust in my tumbling media was a major concern for me - I was stupid and didn't change my media for over a year, and it was dust, and I wasn't wearing a resparator etc etc etc - I did however use drier sheets as a dust filter. I've since got new media, which I'll switch out frequently, wear a resparator - and the latest trick I read was to add 1 shot glass of water to the tumber to hold the residue from becoming airborne dust particles. I've ordered a sample of Ledizolv, so I'm going to try putting some of that on the drier sheets and our pour a little in with the tumber to help keep the lead down.

~Mitch

I have a friend that is using ultrasonic cleaning for his low volume BR shooting based on the 6mmbr.com article. He has very good results, but yes, it is low volume. I've also heard that the Harbor Freight Tools variety ultra-sonic cleaners have a fairly high failure rate.

I think for high volume shooting, I would look more toward a wet media case cleaner such as a Thumbler's Tumbler or the RCBS sidewinder unit.

I know that some people even go crazy with silicone caulk and a cheap Frankford Arsenal vibratory case cleaner or similar to make it water tight. I don't recommend it, but they are being used successfully. I just use a little water in the media in my Dillon VC-500 and dryer sheets cut up in two inch squares and change out the media when it looks dirty.

Folks:

Secondly, Harbor Freight has a 2.5 L ultrasonic cleaner for $78 (including shipping). Anyone with experience with this device?

Thank you,

David

I bought this cleaner and while it has worked well for cleaning slides, I would NOT leave it unattended :surprise: .

I'll leave the BBQ to the pit...

• 1 year later...

I use an ultrasonic tank for cleaning my brass. I repair antique clocks as a hobby and own a large unit with a timer/heater/drain.

I use the L & R non-ammonia based solution and it cleans the brass inside and out to sparkling clean. They almost look new when done. The solution is expensive but can be reused. My tank has a drain so I just filter the solution and drain it into a container for later use.

I can do about 100 45's at a time and it takes about 15-20 minutes per batch. My tank will hold more but that's the amount I like to do at one time. I deprime them first so the solution can work its way through the cases.

I recently started using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean brass prior to tumbling. I use a 10 to 1 ratio of Simple Green. So far this has worked great and has done a great job of cleaning the interior of the brass. The only drawback is the moisture left in the primer area. I let the brass dry (even after tumbling) for a week or two before using.

...The only drawback is the moisture left in the primer area. I let the brass dry (even after tumbling) for a week or two before using...

I wash some brass (to get off mud and silt on brass that's been picked up in rainy conditions). After air drying a day or so, I use a roughly half and half mixture of corncob and walnut hull, which seems to dry the visible case interior pretty well after an hour or so. I figure any moisture left in the spent primer is going to exit the case on depriming :unsure:

Edited by kevin c

NuFinish car wax huh, any problems at all?

I've tried the big expensive machine we have a school TSJC gunsmithing, Semi impressed. I would think the solution you run has everything to do with it

and the sonic vibes just JIGGLE the gunk away. I tryed both primer in primer out and the pockets were not clean.

If you can get these results with vinegar then the whole small machine may be worth it. For rifle or low volume pistol.

Ultra3x300.jpg

I may just buy one and try it.

Thanks for posting this I forgot that article.

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have only reloaded for .50 cal (but just got my new dillon 550B) but have had excellent results using the Birchwood Casey case cleaner. Soak it for a few minutes then rinse with a small stream of hot water and the stuff that comes out of the cases is amazing. Then I set the oven on the lowest tempature setting and place the cases on a cookie sheet and let dry for an hour or so. Works well for .50's but unsure how it would be on smaller cases. Make sure you use an old cookie sheet or you may end up with spouse issues.