Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650

EAGLEDK

I recently bought a used Dillon XL 650 , and I’m having a lot of trouble with the primerfeeder !

A lot of the primers gets turned upside-down ( 180 degrees ) , and some of them

gets turned 90 degrees , so the shellplate is unable to turn !

when I bought the press , I got a lot of ammo with it ,- ammo the previous owner had made – he had the same problem – BIG TIME ! !

Unfortunately the previous owner has past away , so I cant talk to him about it !

I think I’ve checked everything . . .

Has anyone got any suggestions ? ? ?

I don't have that problem very often, but are you sure your 650 has the small pistol primer tube installed and not the large primer tube? Also, are you sure your pickup tubes are for small primer. I am assuming that you are loading small primers.

Bayouman is giving good advice. To use small primers, you need to make sure you use the right pick-up tube, the right primer feed tube, the right index disk, and the right punch.

If everything checks out right, make sure you have the press mounted on a strong bench.

Make sure that the spring arm in Station 2 is not quite touching the casing. If it is, it will often push the casing enough that the primer gets flipped going in. There should be about the thickness of a piece of paper between the casing and the spring.

If that doesn't work, your shell plate position may need to be adusted. Dillon will send you a small tool and instuctions to accomplish this. Just give them a call. Also, since this is an older 650, make sure it has the newer longer indexer that mounts on the left side of the press just below the shell plate. Again, Dillon will happily send you a new one for free.

Edited by XD Niner

Once you have primers in the primer tube handle them carefully with the pinned end down. The primers can with enough agitation flip inside the tubes before you drop them into the primer feed tube. When I have multiple tubes filled I put them in a tall drinking glass on the loading bench and make sure I don't knock them over.

Also make sure your bench is well anchored. I don't think there is such a thing as too rigid where reloading benches are concerned.

Keith

Check the round plate that the primers sit in as they rotate. The plate may be worn, and have ridges where the arm pushes the plate around, this also makes the holes less round and can cause the primers to flip over.

A new primer plate could fix the problem.

Edited by BritinUSA