Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mi 3-gun Championships

OK, here goes: Our inaugural State 3-Gun match went off well, even with rain. However, I was so busy getting it going (and so busy even, I had to delegate stuff to others as it proceeded) that I didn't do well. As in zeroing the rifle-only stage.

What happened?

Well, I was so busy I hadn't checked my ammo supply. As a result, my firearms choices were dictated by what ammo was on hand. The rifle had to be Limited, because my Open blaster was in pieces. The only ammo I had was factory, so I used some of my stash, not knowing what the rifle was zeroed for. As it turns out, my Eagle rifle hits a foot left with Remington 55 fmj.

I had no loaded 40 S&W for the Limited gun, so I re-rigged my holster for a single stack, and shot my Stock pin gun with PMC hardball. Can you say 189PF?

By the time I got to the shotgun, the only way I could build a Limited shotgun was to either put an unported barrel on my Remington 11, or on my 870. I went with the Remington, loading out of a belt pouch.

I've been coasting on my reloaded ammo supply, and it caught up with me. One evening of reloading, and one afternoon of checking zeros would have done wonders for my performance.

Other than that, the match was great.

I had to skip the match because my wife is supposed to have our baby early. She didn't and now I really wish I went.. I told Patrick on Thursday I couldn't go but then on Friday night I decided to just drive up on Saturday morning, shoot, and drive back. I went to walk out the door and stopped. Seven plus hour drive by myself while checking in at home every hour would have been to much. Between a rock and a hard place.

I was ready too.

I got lucky with the rifle I used. I borrowed a mini-14...and shot factory ammo. It hit where the sight were (better than me). Two called mikes. (Virginia count, just enough rounds in the gun to run dry...scared of the mini-14 reload...so no make-ups)

Shotgun was my 1100. I knew it wouldn't run (needs ports opened up). It hurt me some.

Glock ran fine.

3-gun...seems like the guy with the most "quality time" on his equipment has the edge.

--------------

JT,

I heard your named called, but didn't see you anywhere. It was a pretty straight-forward match. You would have enjoyed it.

(I hope to post more on it later. Time permitting.)

Patrick...thanks for the post, shows that even the pro's are human....It has taken about 3 years to get my equipment figured out.... was really simple in retrospect.... what works in North Carolina and forget about all the rest of the matches... 2 years ago at my first NC match a couple of us from Florida were standing around about 8AM and the temperature was already 85 when we noticed that we were the only ones in SHORTS.....and no armored knee or elbow pads....am on my way the the auto parts store to pick up a NASCAR pit crew glove.... regards Les

i was there to and had my problems with rifle. i didn't hear virginia count, shoot to fast and zero'd the stage. but i did good on other stages so i cann't wait to see stage results. it was a real fun match even with all the rain.

Which range did you guys use for this match? Was it the one that is down in a big pit and you have hike in and out? (I'd need an airlift from a Chinook to make that match!).

I'm glad to hear you guys had fun! 3-gun is where it's at!

Flex, glad you liked it. Rhino, all our ranges are down in holes. We're taking up a collection to install an escalator, care to make a donation? :D

We may do ti again next year, but we'll see how many RO's we have left after both a State 3-Gun and the State Handgun.

Rhino, all our ranges are down in holes. We're taking up a collection to install an escalator, care to make a donation? :D

If I do, will you guys promise to drag me out of the hole if it breaks down?

Methinks a shooting range in Michigan would be an ignominous grave for this pachyderm! :P

Part of the strategy was to take only what you needed to the individual ranges, off-loading excess gear in the car as you passed by. We started on stages 6&7, making it easy to take only shotguns and drop them off on the way to the pistol-only stage 1.........

Thanks to Patrick, Carl, and all of the LGC staff for an outstanding event....

....Glad I shot on Sat, though.........

WRanger