Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sticky 550

I'm having a problem with my 550 and I am betting someone here has experienced it before. If not I will call Dillon support.

My 550 sticks just at the top of the upstroke. Basically when the head of the primer arm is slotting into the opening on the table. I have cleaned everything trying to make sure that its just not a buildup of gunk, but that did not seem to resolve the problem.

Any thoughts?

Not that it matter but the press is setup for 38 super with small primers and all.

The problem is happening when the head of the primer arm passes through the head of the ram/shellplate. Working on trying to diagnose it further. Unfortunately, work (the kind that pays the bills) keeps eating into my time!

Thanks everyone for their help!

Sounds like definitely an alignment issue. Gary (dillon) should have something for you on that.

In the meantime, here's a couple sentences from my 550 priming notes:

Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

be

There is an adjustment bolt with a jam nut on it protruding from the rear of the primer feed base. The upper part of the pin pressed through the primer slide (the return spring attaches to the lower part of this pin) contacts the head of this screw, stopping forward travel. easiest way to adjust is to loosen the jam nut a few turns, thread this bolt into the primer housing with your fingers a few turns. Manually guide the primer cup up into the platform and have the handle all the way up. Now, back the screw out with your fingers until it just contacts the pin. Pull the machine handle down, use an Allen wrench to keep this scrw in the same position, and use a small wrench to snug the jam nut.

Shazzamm!! You are once again realigned. Please pay the chiropractor at the window on your way out :roflol:

Well, since I don't work on Fridays I finally got to spend some time dealing with this issue. And DILLON had it right. The Primer Arm was just slightly out of adjustment, so the Primer Head was rubbing against the side of the primer opening. A tweak of the adjustment screw and things are running well again.