Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Sound When Dropped

At the SC Sectional I was near Frank G. when he was DF in the saftey area and very time he pulled the trigger and the hammer would fall it would make a ting type noise. Almost like a bell or echo. What was that? Why does it do it? Kind of cool B)

Koenig hammers definately make a ringing sound, even in live-fire. That was one of the first things I noticed when I got my new blaster (see: Shred 3). I'd guess that any hammer with a similar 'tuning-fork' design would act similarly.

I've also noticed lately that cracked 38 Super brass makes a distinctive ringing sound on hitting something hard.

[thread drift mode on]

Shred,

my usual practice to separate 4.0"SW cracked brass from uncracked ones is, after having tumbled them, pick up a handful (8/10) and have them tingling in my hand: if I hear something like "sdleng" instead of "tling" I'm almost sure I have in my hand a cracked brass, that a quick glance will immediately discover.

I think that brass, in this department, is very similar to bells: if it sounds bad, it is defective.

[thread drift mode off]

In addition to the hammer design, the strut length and FP stop plate tightness play a big role too. Some guns have short struts that do not hold the hammer firmly against the FP stop plate and they make a strange "tinging" noise when dry fired too. The hammer basically bounces off the firing pin and stop plate and is free to vibrate without tension.

Leo