Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thought I'd share a few stages

wooddog

Hose Fest - When you have over-lapping targets like that, you have to expect that some are going to hit (and score on) two targets with one bullet. I like giving some space in between shoot targets (or adding hard-cover or no-shoots).

Ding, Dang, Bang - Well, it's not freestyle. My first choice would be to add props (walls and such) to make it freestyle. If you aren't willing to do that, then you need to add the word "only" in to stipulate that the targets can only be engaged from behind the barrels and thru the barrel. And, I'd clarify "directly behind the barrel" for the steel.

Only 27 - I really like that one.

9x3 - Too many shots from each position. Try it with 8x3.

Bass River - Again, add "engaged only from chair". You really ought to make that free-style...especially that one, as you are adding a possible DQ issue into that stage. (if somebody misses a popper and they see it later and try making it up while being too close...it happens)

Hi-cap Coral - over-lapping targets and maybe some shoot-through issues?

Those all look pretty good and fun. just a bit of tweaking. Keep them coming.

My 2 cents, they are decent stages, but all seem very straight forward where every shooter will run the course in the exact same sequence. These are not bad every once and a while, but moving some props and readjusting some targets to be engaged legally from multiple positions starts to drastically change how people shoot the stage. I try to look at my big stages and work out 3 different sensible ways to shoot it, preferrably regardless of division. The closer I get to that goal, the better everyone seems to enjoy the stage.

I usually stick to a single type of 'test' on the smaller stages; find a technique that you want to measure and then structure a stage to measure just that one technique.

Mid size stages are the hardest for me to get right. They can be the trickiest to shoot, and can be the most difficult to design with variation and without just making a 'short changed' large stage. I try to minimize the props and minimize the movement. These are great stages to add the colors black and white to targets to add difficulty.

I like 'Need More Ammo', but would make a few adjustments. I would take out the long hard cover and put a fault line down to force the port being used for the most part. I would spread out the back targets a bit to open T10 and T13 so they can be engaged from multiple locations. I moved the steel up so no 180 issues and force the initial movement to the back of the stage.

JMHO.

IPSC_Need_more_Ammo__revised_.ppt

Friday, Nice touch. I also thought of turning the long hard cover into soft cover.

I like the thoughts of making the stages more free style. It's a matter of looking at things in more than one way, and when I actually set it up, it always changes a bit.

wooddog, thanks for sharing these. I have also been planning some stages on the side and will bring them out of the woodshed soon.

Yep, stages that allow multiple approaches and tactics are far more interesting IMO.... Half the fun is figuring out which way to hit it before the buzzer.

See Steel and Run - Again, those overlapping paper targets will lead to issues. I'd just spread them out so they don't touch. I'd removed the procedure that requires them to shoot at least one from each box, and just design it so that you get the same result. I like the 3 shooting areas. If area-A was even with B & C, then I'd look to allow the shooters to start in either B or C instead of A.

It's Your Move - Skip the non freestyle "shoot these targets from the box" stuff. Be careful that your no-shoot targets don't allow for shoot throughs (looks likely). And, you activator line for your swinger will be under fire and likely get shot while shooters engage the other paper targets.

Need More Ammo - I like SA Friday's version for Open and Limited, but I like your version a lot better for 10 round guns (Production has taken over in our area). I assume the long hard cover is allowing for a low shooting port all along it's bottom. That is cool. I'd move the steel like SA Friday suggests, to keep it only engage'able from the right of the start position. I'd make your T1-T3 really challenging shots (move them back) from that same position as the steel....or the only other choice for them is to go prone under the long hard cover. If you move T1-T3 back, you probably have to add a wall on the right side of you port/wall at T10-T13 (just like you have on the left side there). That will keep shooters from getting to T1-T3 from the port. I don't know why SA Friday took the no-shoots off the port. Those are a good idea to guard your walls from getting shot up if a shooter decided to go at those targets from further back in the stage.

Keep them coming. They are all pretty good, with a few tweaks. :)

See Steel and Run - Again, those overlapping paper targets will lead to issues. I'd just spread them out so they don't touch. I'd removed the procedure that requires them to shoot at least one from each box, and just design it so that you get the same result. I like the 3 shooting areas. If area-A was even with B & C, then I'd look to allow the shooters to start in either B or C instead of A.

Our club does the overlapping target fan arrays. They are alot of fun, fast. We do the black tape thing, 1" black

tape at the meeting seams between the targets, a hit on the tape only is a hard cover miss, problem solved...

It's Your Move - Skip the non freestyle "shoot these targets from the box" stuff. Be careful that your no-shoot targets don't allow for shoot throughs (looks likely). And, you activator line for your swinger will be under fire and likely get shot while shooters engage the other paper targets.

Need More Ammo - I like SA Friday's version for Open and Limited, but I like your version a lot better for 10 round guns (Production has taken over in our area). I assume the long hard cover is allowing for a low shooting port all along it's bottom. That is cool. I'd move the steel like SA Friday suggests, to keep it only engage'able from the right of the start position. I'd make your T1-T3 really challenging shots (move them back) from that same position as the steel....or the only other choice for them is to go prone under the long hard cover. If you move T1-T3 back, you probably have to add a wall on the right side of you port/wall at T10-T13 (just like you have on the left side there). That will keep shooters from getting to T1-T3 from the port. I don't know why SA Friday took the no-shoots off the port. Those are a good idea to guard your walls from getting shot up if a shooter decided to go at those targets from further back in the stage.

Keep them coming. They are all pretty good, with a few tweaks. :)

Took them off while adjusting stuff and just didn't put them back on.

Hose Fest - When you have over-lapping targets like that, you have to expect that some are going to hit (and score on) two targets with one bullet. I like giving some space in between shoot targets (or adding hard-cover or no-shoots).

-------snippy------

I don't get why this is a problem?

Not much different than putting a no-shoot next to a shoot target. One bullet might score on both. So what?

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

-------snippy------

I don't get why this is a problem?

Not much different than putting a no-shoot next to a shoot target. One bullet might score on both. So what?

Simple..........you can shoot ONE bullet and score twice. That is not a good thing.

In the version you describe there is a pentalty associated with it.

At my club we add black tape to the bottom target to create a non scoring border between the two targets. Or as described we add no shoots in between to break it up.

Simple..........you can shoot ONE bullet and score twice. That is not a good thing.

In the version you describe there is a pentalty associated with it.

At my club we add black tape to the bottom target to create a non scoring border between the two targets. Or as described we add no shoots in between to break it up.

So, explain why "That is not a good thing.", because I'm completely missing the logic. :mellow: