Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Little bugs that eat Paper?!?

sargenv

hmm.. so if it's a termite.. and I saw the critters.. why did they not eat the wood cabinet and chose to only eat the paper on the primer boxes?

Will see after I remove the cabinets... Here are what they look like...

I pulled the cabinet back and there is NO evidence of any kind of desctruction outside the cabinet. I wonder if they were always in this one old box of Remington 57 primers and then just finally made their way out of that unit and slowly were eating their way to the other boxes.. mmmm something about that lovely Winchester and Federal cardboard..

I did manage to salvage some of the remington shotshell primers and almost all of the winchester small pistol magnum primers. Also was able to save about 1200 Federal Rifle primers before I gave up.. probably about 3 bricks of primers.. toast..er... turned into bug poop..

what kind of wood? particle board? termite dont eat particle board i think :rolleyes:

What I'd say after looking at that great picture, is it's termites....

Gary

Which picture.. the one with the little bugs or the one that caused the ewww factor?

The picture in the quotes that I replied to. The one with the bugs... I'd have to agree with ChrisStock on his assumption. Look here.

Gary

Iccckk!! Whatta disappointment. Send the damn bug colony a bill for the lost primer stock!!

You're right about the 'eeewww' factor, though. It's like waking up and finding an army of ants looking for trouble in your kitchen. Icckk. :unsure:

Lynn,

You've got subterranean termites and they will not go away without treatment. One of my gigs when I got out of the Army was working for Terminix. Most pest control companies offer a free inspection, and it might be a real eye opener for you. No one said you had to contract with whomever comes out :devil: My advice would be to get multiple free estimates/inspections as soon as possible unless you are renting the place and you hate the house owner.

our termite guy is realted to my wife, he is now spraying ever year from now on.

that's the termites we had.

post-1268-1207848393.jpg

Edited by lynn jones

Iccckk!! Whatta disappointment. Send the damn bug colony a bill for the lost primer stock!!

You're right about the 'eeewww' factor, though. It's like waking up and finding an army of ants looking for trouble in your kitchen. Icckk. :unsure:

Oh No...Dont get me started on ants in the kitchen! So many ants, so little bug spray! :)

Ok, got the Orkin man coming out next Weds afternoon..

I took the offending cabinet outside. Did not see any evidence of termites on the concrete slab or outside of the cabinet at all. Saw some mouse poop which can be just as gross :sick: so I'll see what he can find out. I just wonder if they are contained in this one old brick of primers and were nibbling their way through my boxes.. Oddly enough though they did not even touch the particle board that contained them. I don't see any evidence that they breached the cabinet.. but who knows.. might be something I don't see.

I'll take a look around the area..

Orkin came by.. yep, it's termites.. Wife wanted to get a second opinion. have Terminix coming by next week. Has anytone had a hard sell from either of these companies? Estimate with a year's guarantee for the whole house is $1900 ish.. option to maintain for $99/quarter after the 1 year is up. House is 1725 sq ft with partial slab. About what I should expect?

Let's hear some opinions? :)

My opinion is you oughta try smacking a few of those bugs on the head with a hammer.

If they've eaten some of that primer compound, a little "impact" might induce the whole colony to spontaneously detonate.

OK, so that might create other problems, but it'd be fun to watch :popcorn1:

B

It has been a while since we treated our house for termites but thats what you have. The price doesnt seem out of line and the maintenec option is nice but a little high, in NC its more like 45-50/quater. We live in a termite rich state. My house is surrounded by pine trees and woods except for the barrier of open grass and chemicals that forms a moat around and under the house. If you have caught this much hope that there isnt more damage as it will cost you thousands in structural repairs if yoiu dont get rid of these little bastaaads.

Yeah, a couple K isn't much when the house is worth $400k+ And when I thnk about it it's only worth 2 - 627's so it's cheap insurance. It's not that wet around here so maybe termites are a bit more common and hence cheaper in your area. After another month or so it's not likely to rainhere until at least late September. I looked at Terminix's web site and their maintainance fee seems to be about the same. Have a 2nd opinion coming on Tuesday..

Orkin came by.. yep, it's termites.. Wife wanted to get a second opinion. have Terminix coming by next week. Has anytone had a hard sell from either of these companies? Estimate with a year's guarantee for the whole house is $1900 ish.. option to maintain for $99/quarter after the 1 year is up. House is 1725 sq ft with partial slab. About what I should expect?

Let's hear some opinions? :)

I worked for Terminix for a few years when I came home from Uncle Sam's great prepaid camping expeditions overseas. They did have the best warranty in the business at the time, and never hesitated to back it up if a problem arose, which it sometimes did. The treatment systems worked...I had my house and my parent's house treated because I believed in it that much. The price was determined by the square footage of slab and what kind of slab it was. Simple formula, not much wiggle room for the salesguys.

Well, I had a second opinion from Terminix and they undercut the other company by a few hundred bucks AND did a much better job inspecting. I was going to have a problem awarding it to the other company since he didn't even look under the house. Terminix seemed to be the better value, and they will be treating the whole perimeter of the house as opposed to just that one area. I hate that I had to call them, I like that I got a second opinion and it was cheaper and frommy point of view, more detailed :)