Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginer Needs Help Training?

RLSMITH

OK GUYS,

Went and watched a match, decided what toys to buy and got them in. Now need to know what is the best way for a beginer to practice before I go shoot in my first match. By the way, here is what I bought: SV Infinity full dust cover 40SW (Smith built) and STI Edge 40SW mostly stock for backup gun, CR Speed belt system, Extreme holster and of course a bag full of hi-caps. Will be shooting in limited class only. Got some IPSC targets ordered and should be here this week. Ant tips and or advice will be greatly appreciated!

One more thing of mention: ordered Matt Burkett videos also.

Thanks for all replies,

Randy

Welcome! Three things:

1. Train for accuracy. Go slow, get A's. You can not miss fast enough to win.

The fast shooters are very smooth. Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Slow is accurate. Ergo, slow is fast and accurate!

2. Order Brian's book and do the exercises.

3. If you do not reload already, order a Dillon XL650 or 1050! This is going to take a lot of bullets! Dry firing will help your draw and mag changes but only firing bullets will teach you to see the !@#$! front sight through the whole cycle so you can call your shots which seems to be one of the keys to this sport.

By the way, I am very new at this myself and none of the above advice is original, just passing along what not only makes sense to me, but has actually worked to improve my shooting.

Mr. Smith

Sorry but I have to jump in here for a moment. The analogy by AikiDale is a bit skewed: If all chairs have 4 legs, and a cow has 4 legs, is a cow a chair? we both know the answer to that one.

Slow is not fast and accurate. Slow is slow...

Strive to understand the fundamentals of the game you want to play. Go slowly till you have complete knowledge and control of your weapon at all times then, strive to excell at your weaker points. The video and the Book are both good, but nothing takes the place of hands on dry firing, or range time. If you can afford to take a class from a legit GM or a school like Gunsite, or Thunder Ranch that also will go a long way, but those places do not teach competition, just gun handling and tactics.

Hang on it will be a fun ride.

THANKS for the replies. Keep them coming! Will be ordering "THE BOOK" tomorrow. Also like to extend my sincere thanks to "B.E." for hosting this site. Hope to hear from some more of you more experienced IPSC shooters out there. Thanks to all, and as I said earlier "keep em coming"

Thanks,

Randy

If you learn to call your shots you will be miles ahead of most everyone.

You must know, as you pull the trigger, that your shot hit the target in the desired place.

Once your body learns to satisfy the eyes, this will become easy, and naturally fast.

Read Brian's book, then read it again.

SA

RLSMITH,

Since you’re obviously well funded I would recommend that you buy the PACT Championship MK IV Timer from Brian. Others here might disagree but I’ve found it invaluable, if for no other reason than to give me a benchmark for practicing my draw and reloads. The fact that it also comes with a chrono is just a very nice bonus! :)

Ed

Excellent advice from everyone. Above all, as S.A. said, learn what it means to call your shots. That is your absolute, single most important job, if you wish to become an excellent shooter.

It's easy, especially if your first shooting experience is in IPSC, to get swept away by the "need for speed," when instead you would improve much quicker if you simply learned what it means to call every shot.

be

Dear titeloop,

Cows are not usually chairs, even if their hides cover some very nice ones. Bulls are often chairs, up to about 8 seconds.

Seriously, I stand by my false sylogism. I learned the slow is smooth, smooth is fast slogan from a former Gunsite provost instructor who was kind enough to offer the advice during a class. I was going as fast as I could go trying to draw and get two aimed shots on each of three targets at about 7 yards, reload and do it again. At this point I had never shot in competition and had just gotten my CCDW permit and realized I needed competent instruction and a lot of practice. He asked me to quit trying to be fast and to slow down, try to just make the exercise as smooth as possible and not worry about being fast. I was willing to try it his way and the impossible happened. My time dropped from more than 10 seconds to less than eight the first time I slowed down. I have since had the pleasure to watch a couple of GM shooters in person and am amazed at how fast their times are while they seem to move so slowly.

The lesson for me was that perceptions of speed for me are illusory and for me to turn up the speed I have to relax, slow down and be smoother.

All that said I am a newbie with a D card, my best classifier to date is a 64%

and I wish I had as much time to practice as I do to read the forums!

Thanks to one and all for making these forums such a valuable resource.

Dale

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. And by the way "RUN N GUN" I'm not well funded, I just had to get rid of a few things to aquire my new "TOYS". I do alot of buying and selling(trading) of guns and hi- end optics to help pay for my hobbies. As far as everyones advice on "calling my shots", I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough to know what that means but just in case my brain missed a gear, maybe some of you should go over it a little in detail. You know....just for fun. ;) Thanks again for everyones help and keep the drills and advice coming.

Thanks,

Randy

Flexmoney,

I certainally was'nt trying to ruffle your feathers there! I am new to the sport and "THE FORUM", so if I should have taken the route to the search first instead of asking the question? I apologize for my error. I mean....come on, don't I get a couple free goofs being a greenhand at this stuff? In all seriousness.....I'll try and remember to search before asking. Sorry for the ruffle! Also just wanted to say" Thanks to everyone involved in keeping the Forum alive, and a special thanks goes to our host and all the moderators!

And yes.......that encludes you Flexmoney!!!! :lol:

Best,

Randy

Randy, Although I am not a regular on this forum, I do quite a few "Searches" for different topics before I Post any "Q's". :D Flex is a good character, but he's seen too many repeats of the same "Q's: on this, and other, forums. Because of this, he can sometimes be like a DRILL INSTRUCTOR! You know, :ph34r: USMC DI's? The folks that you HATE in the beginning but soon learn that they are trying to get you motivated, and you learn that they really are your friend! :)

Slow is smooth (The operative word is SMOOTH), Smooth is Fast (Fast comes with practice and time). Take your time learning the rudiments of shooting, drawing smoothly, and Calling your shots. Before you know it, you don't have to worry about speed because it will have come to you without your knowledge!

The important stuff:

1. Sight picture and learning to re-acquire for a follow up.

2. Trigger control,

3. Proper grip,

4. Calling the shot.......

5. Don't worry about speed, it comes without you even knowing.

6. Get the book...

Another point is, Don't try to start competing right out of the box. Learn the basics and build on them. Then when practicing gets a bit boring, then go and shoot in a match! Notice that I didn't say compete! Just shoot in a match. It's only after you have experienced a few matches that you will start to realize what it takes to COMPETE!

Take care,

Bert

And to all the excellent advice above, I will add:

Enlist the help of a qualified ( someone who can shoot well, not neccecarily a full time instructor)

individual to help you through the rough spots and offer advice.

This, in my case could have shaved years off the learning curve.

It's tough to teach yourself something you don't know.

BUY THE BOOK.

Travis F.

Randy,

IMHO, since Flex chose the words "get your butt," I'm guessing you've already been acepted as a bumbling novice on the board.

;)

But seriously, this board has accumulated a serious volume of excellent information over the last couple years.

be

YES BUY THE BOOK!!!

I just bought mine a week ago. My wife will be arriving in the US to get it. ( I live in the philippines)

Thanks for the fast delivery Brian.

I bought the burner series and it was a great help then matt's videos. this was 5 years ago. Matts video a year back, I seem to be at a loss why I did not buy brian's book. After reviewing and implementing the videos, I still want to learn more.

I am eagerly waiting to read the book and get to learn more. Im pretty accomplished shooter (my opinion only :D )but do not compete much since I have limited time. I can only shoot once a week.

I competed 5 years ago after practicing and implementing the burner series for 6 months and got a 14th place trophy at a level 2 shoot.

I also shoot at club shoots and won two out of 5 and got 3 2nd and 3rd place fininsh.

I also shot IDPA matches here and end up in the top three everytime. The most important thing I saw is to be able to call your shots everytime. if you dont see what you need to see, wait till you do. AND HAVE A PLAN ON HOW TO ATTACK A STAGE.

Hope I was of help. Now how do you beat the great one? I know, just shoot 24-7 for at least a year. :rolleyes: