Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbler Media

I was going to buy some tumbler material the other day at Walmart. Seems like all the kitty litter has odor treatment added above and beyond the basic material. Is that a problem??

Get the crushed english walnut for reptiles, it works great for cleaning. I use corn still for polishing though.

I was going to buy some tumbler material the other day at Walmart. Seems like all the kitty litter has odor treatment added above and beyond the basic material. Is that a problem??

It probably depends on what they're using for odor control. Some chemicals could eventually weaken the cases, but it would probably take a while for that to happen. I'd be more concerned with any residue in the case contaminating the powder. I go to the local pet store and buy untreated crushed walnut and add a little Flitz to it. I've read that NuFinish car polish works as well or better than Flitz, but I haven't tried it yet. R,

I rant by Wal-Mart the other day to buy some polish to use on a feed ramp. I was looking for Flitz, but never found any. Had a guy come help me out and he showed me what they had. Got some other stuff, which worked great, but no Flitz here anyway. ;)

Corncob media can be had a farm supply places for less than $14 per 50lbs.

Is it small granules? I have trouble with the stuff for animals because the granules are kind of big, like 1/4in or bigger. Gets caught in my 223 cases.

Much smaller than that. I'd say around .075" granules.

Corncob media can be had a farm supply places for less than $14 per 50lbs.

Is it small granules? I have trouble with the stuff for animals because the granules are kind of big, like 1/4in or bigger. Gets caught in my 223 cases.

Much smaller than that. I'd say around .075" granules.

Is there a name on the bag? This looks promising!

I never looked for walnut hulls, but most Wallmart's have "coarse grade" corncob media. It's in the bird/pet section.

And yes, like Matt said, if you can find a feed/grain or farm supply store - that's the place to buy it.

be

I just sweep up the cinders from the roadside in the spring after the snow has melted. It can be a little abrasive, but it works great! It is also pretreated with mag-chloride from the DOT trucks. The best part is....its free!

I guess you can't get it if you live in the south. We have a bunch of it here in the mountains of Colorado.

I recently switched from rice to Friskies Hygiene rodents litter.

It's (I guess) corncob litter in bags of 2Kg (about 4.4 lbs), the same size (or slightly bigger) than Lyman green media; I buy it at the local market very cheap, and it it works great.

I have heard people using Nu-Finish car polish. Any one else tried it?

I've been using it the last month or so with corn cob media and it works well. Not sure how it compares to the Dillon product. I've got a bottle coming so I will compare it.

Dave

I have heard people using Nu-Finish car polish. Any one else tried it?

I've been using it the last month or so with corn cob media and it works well. Not sure how it compares to the Dillon product. I've got a bottle coming so I will compare it.

Dave

+2 on Nu-Finish

Marty

A-7424

I found some Hornady One Shot Tumbler Media the other day at Sportsmans Warehouse. Comes in a two pound tub, a little more expensive than the other types.

Seemed to work pretty good. Ran some 223 brass through it slicked them up pretty good, but I still sprayed them down again with light coat of One Shot. Since I was dialing in my powder drop I noticed that some powder was sticking to the inside of the case mouths though. Not sure if it was too much lubricant or what.

Just my .02 worth.

Doug

• 2 months later...