Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super and 9x23?

Bruce

I would like to keep this simple, if possible. For those loading the super and 9x23...do you use the same bullet and same powder? Both of these loads will be shot through a non-comp pistol. I would *like* to use the XTP or HAP bullet, if possible. Powder...what do you recommend? Thanks!

Bruce,

I've had several open guns (STI slide with a .38 breechface; Schuemann barrel chambered for 9x23; and an Aftec extractor) which would equally digest either a .38 Super or a 9x23 without a hint of a hiccup. I usually shot XTP 115's in matches and practiced with Zero 115 JHP's. All cartridges were loaded to 1.221 OAL with a medium crimp. First, I used VV3N37 for all combinations and then switched to SP2 for all. At times, I would have to tweek the load by just one or two tenths to stay major (175 PF). So, yes, it can be done.

A-G

You are going to shoot Limited or SS, right?

FM

If I shoot this in matches, yes, but really just have a bunch of brass in both calibers saved up, and several guns, and want to start tinkering with a good all-purpose load, both play and carry.

9X23 has allways made me wonder why, if you've got 9mm luger and .38 super, why bother?

It's kind of like my opinion on the new rifle cartridges between .223 and .308, I don't care about 6.5.

But I guess thats just buisness, someones allways trying to provide an answer for a question nobody asked LOL.

You are going to shoot Limited or SS, right?

FM

If I shoot this in matches, yes, but really just have a bunch of brass in both calibers saved up, and several guns, and want to start tinkering with a good all-purpose load, both play and carry.

If you have a bunch of both, seperate them and don't worry about using both at the same time.

I'd use the Super's up first?

FM

I would like to keep this simple, if possible. For those loading the super and 9x23...do you use the same bullet and same powder? Both of these loads will be shot through a non-comp pistol. I would *like* to use the XTP or HAP bullet, if possible. Powder...what do you recommend? Thanks!

Yes. Very easy. Any of the XTP's should work great in both.

As for powder, Vita N350.

Yes. Very easy. Any of the XTP's should work great in both.

As for powder, Vita N350.

Thanks, I will look into N350.

powder: Winchester Action Pistol (WAP) is a great powder for the 9X23 and the Super for standard and high performance loads. However, Winchester doesn't market it anymore. But Ramshot does sell WAP under a new name, Silhouette. its the same powder, but feel free to confirm that with Ramshot yourself. The old Winchester manual showed high performance loads for the 9X23 using WAP (Silhouette), that is a 125 grain bullet over 1400fps. and i think folks on this forum have posted load data for making major in the 38 Super with Silhouette. although case capacity might differ slightly between the two cases, the loads with Silhouette will be about the same for any given velocity, or at least they are in my limited experience.

for lighter loads Winchester 231 is hard to beat.

I shoot almost exclusively 38 super in both revolver, ltd 10, and ss (if maxing out points is not a consideration). I also have experimented, a lot, with 9x23 in the 1911 platform. I wish it would fit the revolver but the tolerances of the charge holes are too tight.

I certainly agree with the XTP bullet. My favorite powder for either cartridge, in a full power load, is 3N37 if you are not shooting a comp. While I have never owned any V350 I have heard good things about that powder too.

9X23 has allways made me wonder why, if you've got 9mm luger and .38 super, why bother?

It's kind of like my opinion on the new rifle cartridges between .223 and .308, I don't care about 6.5.

But I guess thats just buisness, someones allways trying to provide an answer for a question nobody asked LOL.

For the hotter loads, it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling having that heavy duty brass. At least until I think about the wear and tear that type of load is doing on my custom 38 super.

For a factory round 9x23 hits like a train. Factory win 9x23 makes major in compguns, as some of our carribean shooters know because they cant reload.

6.5mm or 260 rem is an excellent round. Ballistically superior to most .308cals. Flies really good and is a modestly heavy bullet. The F-class guys are using 6.5x284 for the 1000yd stuf all the time.

Superdude is on the spot. I have several 9x23 1911's and it is a wonderful cartridge. It will do anything the Super will do and then some. I have one as a carry gun because it is easy to shoot, 11 rounds, and has the power of a .357 mag.

I have used VV 3N37, H-6 & 7, 231, Ramshot Silhouette, and several others I can't remember off-hand. Winchester 125 gr. Silvertips ran over 1500 feet per second on my chronograph.

I would love to have a carbine in 9x23.

Send me a PM if you are looking for data...I'll dig something up.

Buddy