Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to upgrade?

(I tried to search but didn't see what I was asking for, If I even know?)

I have been reloading on a Dillon Square Deal since 1996. I currently load 38 super, 9mm, and .45 acp. I do not know how many rounds I have loaded on that little press but it is close to, if not over, 100K.

I load at an even pace of about 300-400 rounds an hour. I know some can go faster but this is all 100%match ammo pace with the checking everything about every 30 rounds or so.

I know I am going to start loading 30-06 and will buy either a 550 or 650(without the casefeeder). I would probably just sell the SD and it's accesories to help fund the new press, dies, shellplates, etc.

??????s

Would the 550 be considered an upgrade to the ease of the SD??

Is it easy to match that pace with a 550???

Does the casefeeder on the 550 make a difference If I were to add it later on??

Would the 650 w/o the feeder be much more of an upgrade over the 550?

is the 650 a pain to switch from rifle to pistol with reguard to the brass cases being inserted by the machine?

I do not shoot anywhere near as much as I use too. I will probably only load about 3-5k a year unless I get more time or until my daughter gets into school, which is still a few years away.

Any questions I may have forgotten or any personal experiences and opinions on same are all very much appreciated.

Thank You.

Brian

I ahve owned a 650 and it doesn't really make sense to buy one without the case feeder. It is more complicated than a 550 and all you get in return is auto indexing and a 5th station.

You could put the cases in the plastic tube, but to manually put cases in the 1 station you would have to reach around the press. I would personally go with a 550, since you load many calibers and the changeovers on the 550 are faster. Also, the numbers you load are not really 650 territory.

I'd start thinking about the 650 when you reload about 1500+ rounds of one caliber per month.

I love my SDBs. I've got one setup for 45, and one for 38 super. I would NEVER get rid of them. Caliber conversion is simple for me; I just slide the stool from one press to the next.

How many rifle rounds are you going to load? They take a lot more time, just in case prep, so don't expect to hammer out ammo at the same rate as 45.

I have a Lee Turret Press that I plan to use if I ever start loading rifle ammo. I figure I'll only reload rifle ammo for accuracy (small volume) needs, or if they outlaw ammo sales. I haven't done a reload time/cost analysis for 223 yet, but unless prices go WAY up, I'll buy reloads for plinking.

Hello: Keep the Square Deal B for sure. How many 30-06 rounds are you going to load in a year? If not many I would just buy a single stage press for your 30-06. If you are going to load more than 1000 rounds of 30-06 I would get the 550 and still keep the SDB. Thanks, Eric

I will see what happens. I think I want a new press but do not really need one as the SD is still running great. I will probably shoot a little over 1,000 30-06 in the next year in my Garand. That is what I was going to load for but I still have almost that much in surplus. I am sure I will get one in the future though and it will most likely be the 550.

Thanks again!

Brian

I saw the topic and I was so excited because I knew the answer !!

When you can afford it :cheers:

I have a 550 and when I got a 1050, I kept it. I'd keep the Square Deal unless I needed the cash to fund the next press.

I'd only get the 650 w/o a casefeeder if I knew I was going to get one soon, like in a month or 2 due to $'s.