Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver in Multigun?

David Sinko

I will be shooting my first Multigun match tomorrow and I have no idea how this is scored. There are only 22 rounds of handgun ammo required so I am considering using the 625 for the handgun requirements. Out of seven stages there will be two handgun stages and one where handgun, rifle and shotgun will be mixed. Would this be a silly thing to do? Obviously the handgun will see scant use in the match, so how does this work into the grand scheme of mix and match?

Dave Sinko

I will be shooting my first Multigun match tomorrow and I have no idea how this is scored. There are only 22 rounds of handgun ammo required so I am considering using the 625 for the handgun requirements. Out of seven stages there will be two handgun stages and one where handgun, rifle and shotgun will be mixed. Would this be a silly thing to do? Obviously the handgun will see scant use in the match, so how does this work into the grand scheme of mix and match?

Dave Sinko

I've done it in heavy metal. The new rules preclude it for HM.

With only 22 handgun rounds, you may not give up too much. It's fun-give it a try!

Dave

the 2008 USPSA multi gun rules read for handgun in Heavy Metal:

"Major Power Factor, Maximum of 9 rounds loaded, Max. of 8 in magazine in the case of Rule 8.1.1.2. Any Single Stack in 45 ACP that meets the SS rules allowed"

If 8.1.1.2 is referencing the regular USPSA 2008 Hangun rule book then it referencing revolvers,

8.1.1 Revolvers

"8.1.1.2 Double Action: hammer fully down and all chambers may be loaded."

Sounds like a revo fits that category?

Jason

Edited by 1911 rookie

OK, I'll do it. Moonclips out front will give me room to carry a rifle magazine in my back pocket. I don't have the proper equipment to be very competitive with the long guns so an extra reload or two won't make much difference in the long run.

Dave Sinko

Yesterday when I woke up it was 40 degrees and raining. We had been emailed that the match is still on but the handgun round count had been increased. So in light of all this I decided to shoot the Glock instead. In the three instances the handgun was used, we had an El Prez classifier stage and the multigun stage of six rounds, mandatory reload and then six more. These two stages were certainly worthy of a revolver but the third was a tricky 16 shot stage with activators and two disappearing targets. Most of the auto shooters were shooting Limited and didn't need a reload. Obviously the revolver would've been a handicap here. I'm still not sure how this is all scored so I'll have to wait for the results and study them. The consensus among those I asked was that a revolver is a bad idea for multigun, but then these people never shoot revolvers any time.

Dave Sinko

Well, a revolver's pretty much always a bad idea for any use that might require more than a couple of shots. After all, the operative description I use of the difference between a revolver and an autoloader is that the revolver's the one that's almost always empty.

That said, I've never been too resistant to bad ideas, so I just go ahead and shoot the round guns and consider it a special challenge.

Shucks, just yesterday I ran through a nice IDPA match with my Python, reloading with Comp IIs out of my jacket pocket (faster than the belt carrier on a cold Indiana morning), and managed to finish 13th overall out of 49 shooters. Since I'm not too good, maybe the six-holer wasn't such a problem.

It's a special challenge.

Bill

Edited by Cherryriver

Um.. I'm going to use:

Remington Model 700 with standard magazine that you load through the top in 308 Win

Remington 870 Wingmaster 20 gauge with extended mag tube

S&W 627PC

My Mini 14 is in the shop and I don't feel like changing over my Browning gold semi-auto.

I've not fired a semi-auto handgun in at least a few months..

When I consider shooting multigun my tools are as such:

Remington 870 shotgun

Remington 7615P rifle

Ruger Alaskan revolver

Not anywhere close to the choice of many (if any), but I think that I would enjoy trying multigun at least once with this trio.

at most club ranges that don'thave anything past about 150 yard or so, an M1 carbine would work just as good as some other pistol rounds might (Tommy gun). If you have to shoot at anything way out there, you will likely be a bit undergunned.