Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Videos of Paul Bunyan USPSA match March 08

Aristotle

Shot some video from this past Sundays USPSA match at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup, WA. Please feel free to critique, otherwise enjoy!

Me:

another shooter from my squad:

And of a Jr. Shooter in our squad. I wish I had gotten more footage of him that day, it wasn't until the 5th stage that his father asked if I could record him. Kids got some game.

Aristotle, thanks for shooting the video. It was great shooting with you - we had lots of fun. That's my kid; he just turned 13!!! I'm really proud of him, not because he's a really good shooter, but because he's a great guy.

Wil,

As a father to be, I envy how you are able to share something with your kid. I think that's great. As soon as my first born daughter is strong enough to rack a slide, I can only hope she will be interested in shooting with her old man as well.

I never did get to ask you, but it looks like your son may have been at this for some time. He's got some moves I don't see a lot of adults capable of pulling off. And has got a great attitude and looks to be an outstanding young man outside of the sport. I hope he keeps at it, he looks like a natural out there.

Glad you enjoyed the videos, see you again out there!

Ari

Shot some video from this past Sundays USPSA match at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup, WA. Please feel free to critique, otherwise enjoy!

Nice videos.

I shoot SS as well, it is all about the reloads, that is an area that you could pick some time up in. I practice reloads moving, just like you do in a match.

Also looks like you have some failure to feed issues that you need to get worked out. Could be mag issues, number your mags and see if you can track it down.

Have fun and shoot'um up!!!

Nice videos.

I shoot SS as well, it is all about the reloads, that is an area that you could pick some time up in. I practice reloads moving, just like you do in a match.

Also looks like you have some failure to feed issues that you need to get worked out. Could be mag issues, number your mags and see if you can track it down.

Have fun and shoot'um up!!!

I've only had the gun for two weeks, and this was the first time I got to shoot her in the match. I think I also may have loaded my rounds a little short, and light. So I'm going to change up my load and give that a try. But I'm not ruling out the magazines completely, although they are somewhat newer Metal form mags, I have 12 of them, and have numbered them and have made note what mags crapped out were, no pattern, we'll see next match I'll rotate them to the other 6. I am ordering some Tripp Mags and see how they run.

I have a little something for Sean...

There is too much shifting (of the whole body) between targets while in a position. Take the second stage, for example (the one with the stomp plate and the swinger). On the very last position that Sean shoots, he shifts his body around for each target...eating up lots of time. Finding a good sweet spot there would allow him to engage all of those targets without having to shift around so much.

Watching your gun not run was painful to me.

The only advice I could give right now is to get that gun/gear/loads fixed. It's not worth worrying about anything else.

Rule #1...bring stuff that works.

Yeah. It pains me as well. I put rounds through her the night before, and practiced the night before that. All ran fine. So it's funny that it didn't that day.

New gun, and new loads. Rite now I'm loading 115 grain RN Rainier Ballistics, 4.2 grains of Tite Group at 1.145 OAL. I'm thinking it may be a tad light and short. I'm going to try heavier loads, and 1.150-1.155 OAL.

Wil,

As a father to be, I envy how you are able to share something with your kid. I think that's great. As soon as my first born daughter is strong enough to rack a slide, I can only hope she will be interested in shooting with her old man as well.

I never did get to ask you, but it looks like your son may have been at this for some time. He's got some moves I don't see a lot of adults capable of pulling off. And has got a great attitude and looks to be an outstanding young man outside of the sport. I hope he keeps at it, he looks like a natural out there.

Glad you enjoyed the videos, see you again out there!

Ari

Ari, I could go on and on ad nauseum about how proud I am of both my boys, but the important thing to me was spending time with them and giving them all the responsiblity they could handle as soon as they showed me they could be trusted. Building trust [in all areas, not just firearms but that's a start] and communication has been key. I never talked down to them, but held them accountable for their actions in a respectful way. The other thing is to spend time with other like-minded people so that when they just couldn't listen to dad or thought dad must be pretty stupid to think a certain way, lo and behold here was someone else repeating the same message! Whoa, maybe dad isn't so stupid after all if that's what someone else they respect thinks.

Yes, Frank has been shooting for a while. Started with a BB gun with no sights when he was three [same for his older brother]. As a competition sporting clays shooter I spent a lot of time at the range and it was natural for them to come along with me. We would shoot at clays on the ground, a can hanging from a string, etc. in order to reinforce target focus, which is what a shotgunner uses. My oldest son has been Washington state sub-junior sporting clays champion for three years in a row, but now has his drivers license and other interests - he's still a passionate hunter and got a very nice bull elk last season but isn't interested in spending the time it takes to be a competitive shooter.

Last year Frank said he wanted to shoot pistols, so we took his mom's .45 DA S&W to the range but he just couldn't get the first shot on target. Went to a 9mm gov't model and he was hooked but couldn't get points in minor so we went to the .40XD and he loves it. We went to USSA in Tulsa for spring break last year, then he joined USPSA in May and Area 1 was our last match of the year because we spend all fall and winter hunting so Frank has been shooting USPSA for about 5 months - I'm just letting him proceed at his own pace and emphasizing the fun of it so we'll see where it goes from here.

You are in for the time of your life with your daughter so enjoy her everyday. I still remember my wife pulling up to the shotgun 5-stand at Upper Nisqually [just down the road from Paul Bunyan] in her minivan and I needed something out of the back seat. I slid the door open trying to hurry so the noise didn't disturb the baby and there lay Frank sound asleep with the range going full blast! He never even twitched! When it's time, talk to me about ear protection for the little ones - we experimented with everything and have seen some very strange looking setups on little heads.

Some of the regrets I hold close to my heart was never spending enough time with my father before he passed away two years ago. I vowed not to let that happen with my own children. A huge disconnect was not having anything we both enjoyed, to share. Our time was spent around the dinner table, and that's about it. My father was a hard working man, and as a 1st gen immigrant, struggled to get us here and provide for our family as well as acclimate himself in a foreign country, so I don't fault him on that.

So I've got to tip my hat to you, for recognizing the importance of that father and son bond, and giving your son the room to join you willingly, and the resources to nurture that natural ability of his.

I had a great time shooting with both of you, look forward to seeing you two out there again!

Ari