Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I remove a fully separted case from a die?

Fullauto_Shooter

OK - I've tried the search function with no matches. I was prepping .223 brass and had a full case separation when I was de-priming / resizing. The base of the .223 round stayed on the shell-plate but the remainder of the case broke off and is now lodged inside my die. The die is an RCBS Small Base X-Die. I've taken the die apart and the case is still stuck insde the die. I've monkeyed with it just a bit but don't want to risk damaging the die until I got some advice here. Anyone know a simple way to remove this fully separated case?

Thanks,

Doug

OK - I've tried the search function with no matches. I was prepping .223 brass and had a full case separation when I was de-priming / resizing. The base of the .223 round stayed on the shell-plate but the remainder of the case broke off and is now lodged inside my die. The die is an RCBS Small Base X-Die. I've taken the die apart and the case is still stuck insde the die. I've monkeyed with it just a bit but don't want to risk damaging the die until I got some advice here. Anyone know a simple way to remove this fully separated case?

ETA: Yes, I was using Dillon Case Lube but the case must have had a hairline crack in it to suffer such complete failure - better in my press than in my rifle.

Thanks,

Doug

Three things come to mind.

One is to send it to RCBS and let them remove the case.

Second would be to get a broken shell extractor and see if that would remove it.

Third would be to try to find a bolt or screw that would be large enough to engage the brass, but small enough to not contact the die and see if you can screw that into it and then have something to pull the case with, either pulling, or punching from the top.

Order of preference as given.

Guy

Worked with a gunsmith for three years. Do yourself a favor and get it to a gunsmith before it is damaged to such an extent that you have to replace the die. When a case gets stuck it normally stays there and it takes a expert to get it out. The gunsmith is an expert since he got to practice on quite a few stuck cases during the years. You however might get lucky, but then just maybe you might not be lucky and end up replacing the die.

Shooting from the hip here... I would probably saturate the whole thing with one shot case lube or equivelant and get a slotted screwdriver or an easy-out to insert up to the shoulder and try turning. If that didn't work, I would try heating the whole thing up and doing it again. I know brass gets soft when hot but not sure if it would expand more than the die. Good luck.

DonT

If you take it to a gunsmith you'd better get a quote first. A new xdie is what? $20. It might not be worth it unless the die has sentimental value :wub: . A very good penetrating oil may help if you let is soak in awhile. A 5/16" or maybe a metric bolt or tap might fit. Screw it as far as it will go without really cranking on it and then pound from the top carefully with a punch or rod while holding the die in a vise or other. Only a suggestion though as it has never happened to me that I remember.

Nick

I tinkered with it a bit more last nigth and finally decided to contact RCBS and see what they had to say. I sent their customer service dept an e-mail late last night and got a reply first thing this morning. They said send it back and they'll take care of it - no problem. Got to love customer service like that.

Luckily, I just finished prepping over 3K .223 cases (huge PITA) so I should be set for a while until I get the die set back.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Scratch/clean up the inside of the case a bit.

Push a paper wad in from the bottom to seal the neck.

Apply release agent to visible parts of die.

Pour case fairly full of Acra-glas, let it set.

Stand die up on a couple of paper towels, fill from top with Kroil.

Wait a day.

Drop a brass punch in from the top, tap stuck case out.

Kind of time consuming, but it works.

Another cheap and easy option to try would be to throw it in the freezer overnight. The metals should contract at different rates, and it may release some of the 'grip' of the die on the stuck case. It's worth a try before you send it off, and it's not exactly invasive where it risks damaging the die in any way.

HTH,

MOnte

• 4 weeks later...

Take a fine threaded tap that will fit inside the case and start to form threads. Not so large that it cuts through and scars the inside of the die though. Work the tap until it is firmly engaged inside the case. Then, with a suitable sized drift punch inserted through the top of the die gently tap the tap and case out. Patience and care required.

The tap will cut threads and not wedge the case tighter like a screw will.

Thanks,

Doug

Carefully measure out 2500 grains of any of the faster burning powders . . . . :surprise:

• 4 weeks later...

If you have a chamber reamer for that caliber, you can put the die in a vise and carefully insert and twist the chamber reamer into the die. It will cut the case out of the die until there is not enough to stick or it gets attached to the reamer in the process. I have seen some Marine armorers do it to remove stuck cases in rifles at Perry a while back.

Doug Giraud

Giraud Tool Company