Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA CLASSIFIER

Ruger_Newbie

Hi all,

I'm not really sure this is the right forum to be posting this in so if it isn't I'm sorry. As I've been reading around on the forums here I've been hearing a lot about Classifiers, but I don't really understand what one is, how it relates to me, and stuff like that. If anyone can lend me some assistance on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ruger_Newbie

Edited by Ruger_Newbie

Classifiers are a bunch of stages that you shoot, your results are tabulated against all other USPSA shooters, then you are given a classification D, C, B, A, M, or GM Most monthly club matches usually have 1 classifier stage, some clubs hold special classifier match with 4+ stages to help shooters get classified or opportunity to move up in class.

Here is a list of the classifier stages and you can read up more about it...

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/index.html

Edited by HoMiE

Classifiers have specific set up rules and everyone in USPSA shoots them the same so that if you were to travel to a match in (your city here) those people would set it up and shoot it the same as your local club. That way, theoretically, everyone gets ranked by the same set of rules so when you travel around the country an X class shooter will be realitivly the same throughout the country. It doesn't always work that way but it is a good faith effort to have an equal set of standards that everyone competes to. Your local club will have some once it starts warming up. Talk to your section dude if you want more detail.

It would be best you did not know what a classifier is. But if you insist it's the stage you will choke on the most, the stage that will cause many shooters anxiety, the stage that you will regret "trying" so hard on, the stage your gun will puke on, etc, etc. :cheers: Oh, and what Homie and Vulture said also.

Supposedly, there are some classifier stages that involve movement, but I haven't had to shoot them just yet.

Out of all the stages you will shoot at one local match, it will most likely be the one that is a "stand and deliver" type Course of Fire (CoF). Some people will use the term "standards" to describe that stage.

When or if you read the course description, at the top of the page, there should be some designation like:

"CM 99-23"

For example, followed by the classifier's name.

If you shoot one at your local match, if you record your points, penalties (if any), and your raw time, you can calculate your hit factor (points divided by time).

Once you have your HF, then you can go here:

http://georgetownclassmates.com/~nick/calculator_scripts/

find the division you shot in and the classifier stage you shot, punch in your HF, and then it will spit out a percentage. Based on several, at least four, I think, of those classifier percentages you will get classified either a Grand Master, a Master, an "A", "B", "C", or "D".

That is the un-offical classifier tool.

Once you join USPSA, you can go to the USPSA.org website, punch in your USPSA member number and then see if your classifier score(s) have been entered into the big ol' whoppin' USPSA database. Then you can go back and check the percentage USPSA gave you vs. the classifier tool linked above.

There is a whole sub forum here dedicated to discussing the classifier stages:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

The USPSA classifier system is, in a way, like a huge postal match. It also a source of income, somewhat, for USPSA HQ. IIRC, they get 2 bucks per classifier score submitted. It probably isn't much, but I have heard that the money does go to put on major matches, maybe Nat's specifically?

When/if you ever go to a major USPSA match, theoretically you are competing against like classified shooters within your division. Depending on how well you place in your classifcation/division, you may earn a trip to the prize table, and may get to pick up some uber cool prize, maybe even a new gun, perhaps? That might be one reason why it seems like so many people here are wrapped around an axle over the classification system.

In time, grasshopper, you will come to learn the words "sandbagger", "grandbagger", and "paper master".

Now, snatch pebble from my hand.

LOL!

Edited by Chills1994

A classifier is generally a short little speed shoot (standards are the exception). They are the easiest stage you will encounter at a match and there is no reason not to burn them to the ground. Unfortunately, the results of shooting a classifier will get you a classification and classifications seem to generate more hate, discontent, and negative Internet chatter than gun control, abortion, and politics combined.

A classifier is generally a short little speed shoot (standards are the exception). They are the easiest stage you will encounter at a match and there is no reason not to burn them to the ground. Unfortunately, the results of shooting a classifier will get you a classification and classifications seem to generate more hate, discontent, and negative Internet chatter than gun control, abortion, and politics combined.

So a sandbagging, gun-grabbing Marxist abortionist would pretty much take the biscuit.

oops, thread drift...

Just another stage at the match.

Your Match Director will pick the classifier stage from a classifier book. The book has very specific instructions on how the stage is to be setup. Match Directors from all over the country set these classifier stages up exactly the same. That allows the results to be compared to those of shooters from all over the country. If you are a member of USPSA, then you can recieve a "classification" based on the results of these stages. (you have to shoot 4 of these stages to get your first rating)