Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Magizine Question.

dpeters8445

Question from the new guy. Do you guys load your magizines to full capasity? I am using STI 140 tubes and Grams +2 basepads and grams springs and followers. I ask this because when I load my 140 magizines to there full capasity (23) once in a while the magizine spring binds and either causes a nose dive or the magizine fails to index. When I load 21 this never happens. I just wanted to no what the more experienced shooters are doing. Same question on the 170 tubes. Do you guys load them to full capasity? 28 in my mags. I currenty am running 38 super but I am converting to 38 TJ.

Thanks

Something that can be happening is when the cartridges go below the rim of the tube bottom, and you begin to strip rounds off, they will catch on that edge, and then you're toast.

Arrendondo sells a little plastic cover that goes over the bottom of the spring, that contains the rounds when you go to full cap. I DON'T have them on my Dawson +2's in 140 and I can not go full cap on them.

I don't know what the Gram comes with.

I have 3 STI 140s with dawson +2 base pads ISMI springs and STI followers. Max capacity is 22 rounds. I load them all the way and they run perfect. I also have one 140 with Dawsons new awesome basepad that increases capacity to 25 rounds, and it runs flawless at max capacity.

I don't like anyone's +2's, I have seen the spring get hung up when the follower goes below the rim more times than I would like. I load my 140's with either 19 or 20 rounds and use flat pads on them. The big stick has a +1 and reliably holds 27 rounds (these are STI's) I don't see the need for a 23 round mag, the 27 rounder(downloaded if you like)will fill that role if needed.

Just my .02

I don't like anyone's +2's...  The big stick has a +1 and reliably holds 27 rounds (these are STI's)
Just a note to anybody who's planning to try a +2 pad on 170mm tubes, I don't know of any +2 pad that attached to a 170mm magazine tube that will not cause the magazine to exceed the maximum overall length allowed in IPSC/USPSA. If your mag is measured at the match and doesn't fit in the 170mm gauge, it's a match DQ.